Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Shucks !!! I thought I was going to nab it !!!

Darn Darn Darn Darn.. !!! Some pond scum nabbed my coin....

I was watching this auction all week. I was going to buy, post pics here as a "before shot" and send to NCS, then back to PCGS. I thought this looked like a great candidate to try them out. Someone must have gotten to the seller. I hope they do it and it comes back body bagged... The next best 1867 double die is a MS64RB which went on Heritage for $2,700 ( my max bid was substantially lower ).

Auction Link

Comments

• Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    Need a sniping program!!!
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• Options
    No, the seller ended the auction early. Must have sold it off eBay.

Arghhh......
  • Options
    gemtone65gemtone65 Posts: 901 ✭✭✭
    You assume he sold it off E-bay. And, you're probably right. But, there is a small chance you're wrong. And, all it takes is one quick E-mail to find out. I've been pleasantly surprised like that on more than one occasion.
  • Options
    Exactly what were you going to have done to it and what do you think the results would have been??image
    Glenn
  • Options
    PhillyJoePhillyJoe Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭✭
    Do we know if Russ was at his computer when the auction was pulled by the seller?image

Joe
    The Philadelphia Mint: making coins since 1792. We make money by making money. Now in our 225th year thanks to no competition. image
  • Options
    jonesy... You are right, somebody saved me $777.77 yesterday... I slept very well believing that.

Tim
  • Options
    northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The lesson to be learned here is that if you are interested in an item you need to put a bid in early even if you plan to come back and bid higher later or put the item on your sniping program. I believe ebay strongly frowns on selling an item outside of ebay once a bid has been placed on it, and even then ebay OK's pulling the auction only if it is sold to whoever the highest bidder is at the time the auction is pulled. Quite frankly, I have no sympathy for snipers who try to sneak in at the last second when they never even bothered to play the game. It is lots of fun to win an auction and see that you just sniped a sniper whose name never appeared earlier in the bidding history! (I did just that last week on a double die bust 50 - which is what brought me to your thread before I saw that the double die you lost out on was of a different denomination and that your referenced auction hadn't gone all the way to close. Drat - I was all ready to step in and fess up that I was "pond scum" [It seems to be working for Sammy Sosa])
  • Options
    Sounds like someone used the wallstreetman approach!
    You can fool man but you can't fool God! He knows why you do what you do!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file