Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Is there something fishy here???

This is weird..cracked out of the slab, but going to put it in another?....I swear I see a "D" under the date too..

1922 plain?? Really??

Comments

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,022 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ICG bagged it, put into a CW slab... whether it's the same coin, though...
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,430 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, most if not all 1922 "plain" Lincolns will show a ghost of a "D", I believe. That might be more than a ghost. Hard to tell from the crummy picture.

It probably was never cracked out of any slab- ICG didn't slab it. The Coin World "slab" is just a plastic do-it-yourself holder.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    FC57CoinsFC57Coins Posts: 9,140
    How conveniently fuzzy huh? imageimageimage

• Options
    clw54clw54 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Well, most if not all 1922 "plain" Lincolns will show a ghost of a "D", I believe. That might be more than a ghost. Hard to tell from the crummy picture.

It probably was never cracked out of any slab- ICG didn't slab it. The Coin World "slab" is just a plastic do-it-yourself holder. >>

The strong reverse shouldn't have any trace of a D.
  • Options
    Does not appear to even be a Strong Reverse even if it is legit... which I seriously doubt.... FAKE!
  • Options
    Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    Several models of the No D show a faint D as they are merely filled dies. The true No D had the D completely removed by overpolishing a clashed obv die which was paired with a new rev die, thus the No D/Strong Rev.
    So I'd say that certificate doesn't go with that coin.
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • Options
    TrooperTrooper Posts: 1,450
    Ok Folks
    Can you please tell me more about the faint "d". What are your opionoins on this one?
    Thanks Tom

All three pics are of the same coin. I brightened up the first pic

• Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    That first coin is certainly not a true die pair 2 "no D" coin. I can tell that from the date alone. More than likely it is just a "weak D" 1922

I can't make out much on the last picture.
  • Options
    Here are the diagnostics I gathered from the internet on the 1922.......The Die 2 version is the rarer collected of the three states.

Die Pair #1:
    Second 2 in date is weaker than the first 2.
    First T in TRUST is smaller and more distinct than the other letters.
    WE is very mushy.
    Reverse is very weak, usually with no lines in the wheat ears.

Die Pair #2:
    Second 2 in date is sharper than the first 2.
    All letters in TRUST are sharp.
    WE is only slightly mushy.
    L in LIBERTY butts up against the rim.
    Reverse is sharp.

Die pair #3:
    Second 2 in date is weaker than first 2.
    TRUST is weak but sharper than IN GOD WE.
    L in LIBERTY butts up against the rim.
    Reverse is weak -- lower left part of O in ONE begins to spread into the field as the die deteriotates.
  • Options
    TrooperTrooper Posts: 1,450
    Mill
    Are the 3 die pairs you mentioned reffering to a "plain" 1922 or a 1922 D.

The coin I have looks like it is a die pair 3 because of the L in liberty against the rim, But the "t" in trust is smaller and more distinct and a little offset downward from the rest of the letters which it then could be a die pair 1. Tho "o" in one on the reverse is a little mushed out around the 7 to 9 o'clock position.

Might it be something worth looking into or is somebody going to bust my bubble?

Thanks!!
    Tom
  • Options
    Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    It looks like I see a faint D, the 2nd 2 is bad so there should be a die crack from the O in ONE CENT to L in PLURIBUS making it the less desirable model.
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • Options
    "Mill ...Are the 3 die pairs you mentioned reffering to a "plain" 1922 or a 1922 D."

That info refers to all the 1922 "plain" cents...Dies 1 and 3 are the weak "D" versions...Die state 2 is the rare desirable version with the strong reverse and no "D". The others have a weak reverse and "should" not go for a big premium...the problem is that a lot of collectors don't really know the difference, and cause the price of the weak reverse to be excessive and are getting a coin that is overpriced...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file