Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Does this coin look like a fake?

Something just does not look right ...

1955 DDO...(copy?)

Comments

• Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    Well, first, at least the seller said "doubled die" and not "double die." Definitely not real.
  • Options
    FC57CoinsFC57Coins Posts: 9,140
    Looks like a cast counterfit - nice hole in it too - looks freshly made - maybe we should tell Lord Marcovan about this one for his vest!
  • Options
    RGLRGL Posts: 3,784
    Not even worth a holed cent ... seller has a lot of negs, including from one buyer complaining about "fake" gold ...
  • Options
    Ole Honest Abe has an Unhonest grin on this coin.
  • Options
    clw54clw54 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭
    Compare it side by side with a real one.

Real double die
  • Options
    Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536
    That's a Royal Oak Mint copy. Here's a picture of the same piece from their web site.
  • Options
    Many people will damage royal oak mint copies in the areas where it says copy, and sell them like that. I once saw a royal oak mint 1916 SLQ (which still had a good bit of the area where it says copy left on the coin) sell on ebay for over $500
    Retail coin dealers, the only people who can buy a $10 coin for $2, and sell it for $30.
  • Options
    BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    Looks like the vertical part of the Y in COPY is still there, to the right of the hole, on the reverse
  • Options
    Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    I ran the text through eBay BS Translater 1.72 with the updated hype patch:
    CAME ACROSS THIS HERE MIXED IN WITH A JAR OF WHEATS AT A LOCAL AUCTION. SAD PART IS SOMEONE DRILL A HOLE IN IT. WILL SELL AS IS WITH NO RESERVE AND NO REFUND. I WOULDN'T KNOW THE VALUE OF IT WITH THE HOLE IN IT. I KNOW WHAT THE VALUE IS WITHOUT AND VERY DISAPOINTED IN SOMEONE DOING THIS TO A COIN. THE FRONT SIDE IS FAIRLY WELL. THE BACK SIDE IS WORN MORE.
    Results:
    I SNAGGED THIS FROM A DEALERS 99¢ JUNK BOX LAST WEEK. I TRIED TO REMOVE THE WORD COPY WITH MY DREMMEL SO I COULD SCAM SOMEBODY ON EBAY BUT MY AMATUERISH ATTEMPTS WERE PRETTY OBVIOUS SO I DRILL A HOLE IN IT TO REMOVE THE EVIDENCE AND MY BEST BET IS TO JUST PLAY DUMB AND HOPE FOR A SUCKER.
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • Options
    Sad part this buy already has 2 "suckers" bidding on it.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,430 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Geez. image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    have you noticed the large disparity between total feedback and unique users for this guy. Not a good omen!
  • Options
    ERER Posts: 7,345
    Bullet through Lincoln's head again.image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file