Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Anyone ever heard of/seen a 1998s SMS Kennedy half DDO? - PICS added

LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
I was looking at my SMS Kennedy half and noticed that the lettering on the front is doubled in a CCW direction. All doubling appears to increase the further out from the center of the coin (i.e. the letter T in TRUST is far more doubled than the E in WE). The doubling is about a half a letters vertical element width at the rim of the coin (all letters in LIBERTY and date are strongly doubled).

It's pretty cool, I'm just wondering if there is any additional demand for something like this.

Here are some pictures of different letters and the date

Comments

• Options
    FC57CoinsFC57Coins Posts: 9,140
    Lanlord:

I haven't heard of a DDO for the 1998 Half - but since it's a matte proof, I wonder if it's machine doubling, which sometimes can be pretty severe. Look at the doubling and see if you can tell whether the original letters are slightly higher than the doubled letters and numbers. If they are, I believe this is referred to as stair step doubling which is machine doubling - if the letters and numbers appear to be of equal height, then it may very well be genuine die doubling.

Frank
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ttt with the pictures
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I gotta believe it's machine doubling. Especially the last three pictures seem
    to have the shelf like appearance.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    ksteelheaderksteelheader Posts: 11,777
    Looks like machine doubling to me...Ken

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file