Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

COLLECTION FOUND!! UPDATE!!

COLLECTION FOUND!! See follow up post below. Thanks everyone!!

My 11 year old son's coin collection was stolen out of a box in his room. We are trying to make a list from recollection. I didnt realize how much stuff he actually had, but it is adding up to say the least.

I am meeting with the police in my town and would like to get any suggestions from board members on anything that they can add from this tragic experience.

Some items include:

A complete 32-coin set of BU IKE Dollars (purchase for Christmas from Board Member - GRANDAM)

2 Certified Morgans and 2 Silver Eagles (both MS69) purchased in AIRPLANENUT's Charity Auction in March (if anyone can provide a link to this thread, I would appreciate it

Other items:
1995 NGC MS68RD Lincoln Cent
Set of 1943P-D-S PCGS MS67 Cents
2001 Buffalo Coin and Currency set
All Proof Sets including Silver sets from 1999-2002
Some Certified Morgans (not high grade)
Various Commemorative Sets (Dolley Madison, Yellowstone)
Proof Silver Eagles
HAVE A GREAT DAY! THE CHOICE IS YOURS!!!!

Comments

• Options
    sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    I am not sure where you live but ->

contact local coin shops with list
    contact local pawn shops with list
    start checking ebay/yahoo auctions
    good luck -

Have son ask all his friends if any of them have seen any of them
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know how much this hurts. Good luck getting them back.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    CoinAddictCoinAddict Posts: 5,571
    Here is a link to the charity auction.
    Link to thread
    Hope you are able to recover his collection intact.
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm terribly sorry to hear about this. I had my collection stolen (by my older brother - to buy beer with his friends) when I was about the same age. That experience was one of the worst I have ever endured. It is amazing how something like that can make you feel.

I wish you luck in dealing with the insurance company.
  • Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭✭✭
    UUHHGGGGGG . . . I know you feel completely violated. So SORRY to hear about this.
    Doug
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,430 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whatewash- wasn't it you who won won a PCGS 1912 nickel (for your son) in my Virtual Type Set giveaway, some time ago?

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    WhitewashqtrWhitewashqtr Posts: 737 ✭✭✭
    Lord!! Yes, but I actually kept the 1912 Nickel with my collection which is not in the house. I guess I was lucky I did that!! So it is safe!!

I dont suspect any of his friends. However, we do have some delivery people (oil, propane) and a housekeeper from time to time and recently had the septic cleaned. We do live in a safe neighborhood or so I thought!!

We are compiling a list of who was here recently. I do not suspect any of his friends.

Not even sure yet if this is covered by my insurance.

• Options
    If the house was not broken into, it had to be somebody you let in. If the box was unmarked, it had to be somebody who would know what was in it and where it was. Just some observations.image
    The strangest things seem suddenly routine.
  • Options
    Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    Find out who knew about the coins and knew where they were.
    Maybe not your son`s friends but some friends of friends.I suspect anyone how could have seen them or
    heard they were in such and such place.

The `hand out a list to the various places` is a great idea for starters.
    Your son`s gotta grill some of his buddies too maybe.
    Tell em no charges will be pressed if they just return them,
    otherwise we press full charges to the dishonest fools who thought they could get away with burglary.

• Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    That's a real shame. Sorry to hear about your son's collection.

If nothing else in the house is missing, I think you'll find it was one of his friends who did it.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do not suspect any of his friends

Don't be too hasty to cross anybody off the list just because you "feel" that they wouldn't have done it. You will never solve the case that way.

A chronology since the last time your son saw the coins would be the most helpful. Both of you are going to forget details the longer you go without writing them down. Unless your house is a total grand central station, then your list is going to be short.

If it was an adult that stole this child's coin collection, I would personally fly wherever you live and kick his a$$. I can't think of anything lower. If it was a true burglar, you would be missing more than just his coin collection. It really sounds like someone who has been invited into your house and is either counting on the fact that you will consider that your son "lost" the collection, or has such an immature mind that they think you will never be able to figure it out. Both scenarios smell of "kid" to me.

I hope you don't think I am meddling.
    Doug
  • Options
    supercoinsupercoin Posts: 2,323
    Man, sorry to hear that. I'm afraid I'd have to suspect "kid" too... friend, or not. I had a friend steal some stuff from me as a kid, I never knew where it went until I saw it at his house a couple years later. image

I'd get in touch with the friends' parents, use some pretense rather than making any accusation, e.g. ask them to please check with their kid to see if they've heard anything about it.

If they're good parents and they see shifty eyes, you'll get them back. If they're not good parents, they'll cover it up for them. But worth a try.
  • Options
    Having been through this, I recommend:

1. Include everyone as a suspect. Who knew about his collecton and who had he spoken with recently about it? Even the best can be tempted.
    2. Watch for changes in behavior of friends/relatives, i.e., do they not come around as much?; spending habits, etc.
    3. Check with local dealers and pawn shops and give them a watch list.
    4. Check on-line actions for postings.
  • Options
    wingedlibertywingedliberty Posts: 4,805 ✭✭
    I am really sorry to hear about the loss. I hope you don't take the following statement as an accusation, it is not meant as one. You had mentioned that you have a house keeper from time to time.
    Logic would dictate that a housekeeper has access to every point in the home, particullarly a child's room. Since nothing else was taken, you might want to focus on the housekeeper. Again, I am not pointing fingers, just something to think about.

Brian.
  • Options
    Welcome to the Forums JohnnyKick. You seem pretty wise. Are you a lawyer? Just wondering.image
  • Options
    WWQ,
    I don't know you or your son and certainly don't wish to offend but are you entirely sure your boy didn't decide to "liquidate" his collection?
    That humanity at large will ever be able to dispense with artificial paradises seems unlikely. Most men and women lead lives at the worst so painful, and at the best so monotonous, poor, and limited, that the urge to escape, the longing to transcend themselves, if only for a few moments, is and always has been one of the principal appetites of the soul.

Aldous Huxley

Yabba dabba doo.

Fred Flintstone

• Options
    Bumpy - To answer your question simply.. NO WAY!!
  • Options
    Well -- Of all the strangest things. My son has FOUND image: his collection which was transferred to a bigger box (actually a trunk). He hasnt looked at his coins in at least a month and I guess his collection is getting too big for the box he had and forgot that he transferred it.

Boy.. does he feel like a bonehead! image However, the good thing is that all is not lost!! And we are pretty happy. Just may take him to the coin shop anyway today!! And go shopping for a safe!!

I want to thank everyone for all their input and generosity. It is truly appreciated and you guys are simply AMAZING!!

At least it ended well!! Even if we are a bit embarrassed. Thanks again everyone!!

• Options
    Cannot speak for all pawnshop owners or coin dealers, but as a pawnbroker myself I may have some advice for you.

Do check all of the pawnshops and coin shops that you can. Prepare a flyer describing your mechandise and police information (detective's name, police agency, phone number and report number) as best you can for your first visit. You should also consider flea markets and swap meets

If the shop keeper seems willing to help then give him/her a copy of your flyer.

Check back with as many shops as possible in 10 days to 2 weeks and again in 2 more weeks - there will not be any need to hand out your flyer again.

If you find merchandise that you suspect is yours and the shop keeper was willing to help then ask him to hold the items for your detective to inspect and then contact your detective with the information - If you suspect you have found your merchadise in an unfriendly shop then quickly contact your detective with your concerns.

Do not bother to ask who pawned or sold the items. Most shops will not tell you but are willing to cooperate with the police.

If I can be of any assistance do not hesitate to contact me.

• Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,810 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This might be tricky...but what about a possible reward for return of the coins?

Once this is done, you can never have anything at home.
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    CoulportCoulport Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭
    That's a big relief.

Now, maybe, you can come to my house and help me find the stuff I've 'lost'.
    I swear there is a black hole on my desk somewhere.
    The most money I made are on coins I haven't sold.

Got quoins?
  • Options
    mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭
    Great news. I've misplaced a coin or two since I've been collecting. It is embarrassing, but better that than to have to realize that it really was taken. mdwoods
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
  • Options
    MDWOODS

A coin or two is one thing, but a whole collection? We are embarrassed to say the least. But happy we found it!!

WWQ
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    kids, they'll do the darndest things!! to put things in perspective and add a bit of post-trauma humor to the whole ordeal, listen to what adults can misplace. i once had a co-worker ask me what i was looking for and when i said that i couldn't find my safety glasses and he gave that stupid look at the top of my head, i realized where i'd put them!!!imageimage long term loss of short term memory, otherwise known as CRS!!

al h. image
  • Options
    northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Keets - that is hilarious about where your safety glasses were misplaced. Reminded me of a visit I had with my then grade school aged daughter to an upscale electronics store where they had a special room for viewing their new projection TV's. I was really disappointed in the picture quality which seemed blurred and out of focus. On the way home I made a comment to my daughter about how the traffic appeared blurred and that maybe I ought to go to the eye doctor to update the prescription on my glasses. At that point she looked at me and asked why I only had glass in one of the lenses. Sure enough one of the lenses had fallen out.
  • Options
    Hey, Losing coins can be a really frustrating thing. Big Tip!! Never hide coins while under the Influence!!
    I still can't find a 10 Dollar gold piece and Unc. Buffalo Nickel. But I know they're out there!!image
    Glenn
  • Options
    This makes us think twice about the safekeeping of coins.

We are going to make a list of everything we have.
    Then we are going to scan each item.
    And we are going to buy a safe to keep at least the more valuable items in.
    It is also important to keep the listing updated as well when we add things.

The items are not expensive individually.. maybe the highest priced thing was $150. But when you add it all together it is a LOT!!

WWQ

Oh.. my brother once couldn't find his keys. They were in the freezer!!
  • Options
    MrLeeMrLee Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭
    Most of us will misplace things time to time and it's frustrating not knowing where it is or whether it was stolen. Finding them is a relief and an embarrassment but at least they are found. It's better then the alternative. Glad to hear it turned out for the best. .
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,430 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glad y'all found it!

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Glad you found them
    Sets Complete:
    Eisenhower Dollar, BU

Set Incomplete:
    Roosevelt Dime
    1900 - Current Type, No Gold
    Silver Eagle
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jonesy
    I had to laughimage..I've done it more than once.Al
  • Options
    Been Der Done DAT!!image
  • Options
    Kids! Thats why I am turning grey! Forgetful ! I can't tell you how many times at work that I go over to my toolbox to get something, and can't remember what I came over to get when I get there. I think its referred to as CRS!..........Ken
  • Options
    ldhairldhair Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a habit of hiding coins I can't get to the bank when I have to leave town.

Over the years there are 4 coins still lost. One from 20 years back.

I just know they will show up someday.image
    Larry

• Options
    So very glad they were found. image
  • Options

<< <i>Welcome to the Forums JohnnyKick. You seem pretty wise. Are you a lawyer? Just wondering.image >>

Not a lawyer...just a lay counselor who has observed some interesting human behavior over the years.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file