Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Anyone with good pocket change finds recently

For the most part, i think finding neat pocket change finds that people used to find all the time are pretty much over with. With 2 large exceptions; double die coins [especially cents] and people who "seed" the hobby by occasionally putting circ. collector coins in circulation.

Even though i always check my change, i haven't found anything interesting in almost 2 year.

Has anyone found anything interesting in change recently ? Les
The President claims he didn't lie about taxes for those earning less then $250,000 a year with public mandated health insurance yet his own justice department has said they will use the right of the government to tax when the states appeals go to court.

Comments

• Options
    clw54clw54 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭
    A 1963-D dime.
  • Options
    I found a 1950-D nickel about an hour ago!
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,454 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got into the circulation finds era pretty late (1957), but there was nothing
    there of note. I didn't have the funds to check large numbers of coins so per-
    haps there were a few coins then. People started pulling good coins out of
    circulation right after WW II. As the years went by the number of collectors
    exploded with the baby boomers who were avid collectors. By 1957 most
    of the valuable and key dates were gone. Even by 1945 it has been shown
    finding a coin like a 1909-S vdb was statistically improbable.

If you don't like moderns than pickens' today are much slimmer. There will be
    an occasional silver coin and wheat cents are quite easy (~.25%). Obviously
    there will be no return of high grade walkers or NJ coppers to circulation any-
    time soon.

If you do like moderns than this is the best of all possible worlds. Except for the
    coins lost to time and tide almost every coin the mint has made in two generations
    is in circulation. These coins have not been picked over by legions of collectors for
    many years. When it's not busy bounding and leaping, time really does fly!
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    Got this a couple weeks ago when I bought a Slurpee at 7-11
  • Options
    ccrccr Posts: 2,446
    Got a 1940 Canadian penny a couple of days ago in my change.
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,951 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yesterday I got a Proof 1980-S Jefferson in change. First interesting find in a very long time.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    hughesm1hughesm1 Posts: 778 ✭✭
    Got a 2002-D sac and a 1970-D half from the bank yesterday. The half had lots of marks on it though and was harshly rubbed. Looks like someone or some kid raided his or his parents collection.
    Mark
  • Options
    itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    My son actually got a clipped Roosevelt about 2 years ago. Maybe 7-8%, complete with the weak strike on the opposite side. The coin saw some wear (XF45 or so), so it passed through a lot of pockets without being snagged.
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • Options
    nuckleheadnucklehead Posts: 1,500

<< <i>Got this a couple weeks ago when I bought a Slurpee at 7-11 >>

That's quite a find! My last find in change was a 1942-S silver Jefferson nickel a few months ago.
    Friends are Gods way of apologizing for your relatives.
  • Options
    zennyzenny Posts: 1,549
    1928-d lincoln in vf-37. not worth much but verry cool to find in change.
  • Options
    SpinynormanSpinynorman Posts: 603 ✭✭
    How about a 1961D cent with a nice RPM?
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    A 1944 Quarter in VG. I got it from the bank the day before yesterday.
    The strangest things seem suddenly routine.
  • Options
    I found both the 2000 and the 1998 type II reverse Lincoln cents in change. image
  • Options
    MintstateMintstate Posts: 254 ✭✭
    This wasn't a "pocket change" find, but a great story anyway. I was on the phone the other day wishing my grandmother a happy 91 st birthday. She's getting ready to move into one of those assisted living places, and she told me she had 4 rolls of old quarters, and she wanted to know if they were worth more than face value. If I didn't want them, she was going to cash them in at the bank image I picked them up last night. The first roll was all early 60's silver, along with 6 late 50's . The second roll is all 40's , along with a couple of 30's, and a dateless SLQ !
    I havn't opened the last 2 yet. Maybe they are rolls of 32'd and s's. image

Rick
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    A 1964 silver dime about a month ago, and earlier this week my wife gave me a 1943-P war nickel she received in change.

About three weeks ago I purchased a roll or unc 1965 quarters only to find it was a roll put away in 1966 and it was mostly silver.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    vega1vega1 Posts: 941
    I got a 1953 Nickel from a vending machine last week, I needed it for one of my whitmans too, which was nice. Nothing like filling a hole for face value. Other than that a couple months ago I got a 1985-D roosevelt with a strike so weak the M in 'DIME' is completley missing. Obviously not worth anything but I thinks it looks cool.
  • Options
    Not much, but here are my finds - I got an '81s SBA with a very good strike in AU condition out of a change machine and found 2 1940 Nickels and a 1999 Lincoln Cent with a nice, long die crack right in the middle of Abe's forehead.
    Just My 2 Cents,
    Big Mike <><

Let your roots grow down into him and draw up nourishment from him, so you will grow in faith, strong and vigorous in the truth you were taught. Let your lives overflow with thanksgiving for all that he has done. --Colossians 2:7
  • Options
    RGLRGL Posts: 3,784
    It has been very slow of late, a 53-S Jeff a few months ago and I think it has been three years since I got any silver (a '64 Washington) back in change. Still, going to be hard to every top my best circ find from 20 years ago .. a 1982 No-P Roosie now in a PCGS AU-58 slab... image
  • Options
    smprfismprfi Posts: 874
    I'll check my pocket now................................................................

Hey look an 1885 Morgan dollar.What a great find.image
  • Options
    Several times over the last few months I've received two wheat pennies. I'm not a cent collector, so I put them in my change jar. I'll see if I can find them and give you details later.

I found them!

1948-D (AU)
    1956-D (AU)

Both are Brown
    heath
  • Options
    richbeatrichbeat Posts: 2,288
    I recently found a 1952S quarter and a 1776-1976S Type 2 circulated proof Ike. image
  • Options
    1929 Merc.
    1 DAMMIT GIRL!!!!! SEPT.25,2003
    2nd DAMMIT GIRL!!!!! DEC.7,2003
    Got another dammit girl but don't remember when.
    1 Your a BRAVE soul AWARD from MRKELSO
    reedleslie.com
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,018 ✭✭✭✭✭
    2002-P dime image
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    63-D quarter 3 months ago, havent found anything good lately
    Retail coin dealers, the only people who can buy a $10 coin for $2, and sell it for $30.
  • Options
    barberloverbarberlover Posts: 2,229
    I forgot to mention my last pocket change finds.
    a vf 1963 quarter in 2000 and to war nickles in change from the same pop machine at work in 2001.
    I gave all 3 to my wife.

I have only found one wheatie since then. Les
    The President claims he didn't lie about taxes for those earning less then $250,000 a year with public mandated health insurance yet his own justice department has said they will use the right of the government to tax when the states appeals go to court.
  • Options
    I found a 1919-S Lincoln cent in about vf.
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,633 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My best notable find I had, which was about this time last year was at a resturant in Rocky Mount, VA. I found a 1970-s SD lincoln in the" need a penny dish" at the register. (coin was a brown AU) sold it that night when I got back home at the local club meeting for 20.00 in the auction.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file