Home U.S. Coin Forum

Starting to Get Frustrated

Back in 1952, I began a Whitman holder of Jefferson nickels and have since found every business strike nickel except the 1950-D. Based on looking at an average of ten nickels a day, I figure I have looked at around 200,000 nickels not counting the bags of nickels I searched in the 1960s.

Fellow collectors and relatives have tried to give me a 1950-D nickel, but that would admit defeat. Has anyone else been as persistant/stubborn in searching for a coin from pocket change and what are you looking for?

Where are all the 1950-Ds?

Comments

• misterRmisterR Posts: 2,305 ✭✭
    I thought I found one once but it turned out to be a 59-D with the leg of the 9 carefully removed! Wish you luck.image
  • Seems like you might have to accept the one coin you need after all.........as you might never find one in change after a certain point.

Sorta like expecting to find a bust half or frankie in pocket change today.........it just ain't gonna happen! Granted......you would have a better chance on that jefferson.

Maybe you could increase your chances yourself by buying a mess of bank rolls of nickels to search............nothing shamefull about that!

The Ex-"Crown Jewel" of my collection! 1915 PF68 (NGC) Barber Half "Eliasberg".

Once again resides with Legend, the original purchaser "raw" at live Eliasberg auction. Laura and i "love" the same lady!

• I share your pain. I have been attempting to assemble a complete set of NJ copper die varieties from circulation since 1999 and have so far the closest thing I have found is a 1972 Canadian nickel which, while I can't be certain, appaears to have a beaver on it.

Singapore
  • After reading this thread, I looked at the change in my pocket and found a 1950 D nickel! Can you believe that?
  • I must find at least one a week....

just kidding. Keep at it, finding it will be sweeter the longer you look.
  • MrLeeMrLee Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I thought I found one once but it turned out to be a 59-D with the leg of the 9 carefully removed! >>

Like this one?

You're looking for a needle in a hay stack. You might find it but I seriously doubt it. Pick out a nice one and buy it. They're cheap enough now.
  • clw54clw54 Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭
    Never underestimate The Thing.
  • Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,874 ✭✭✭
    OnlyBuffalos I like your attitude! Spoken like a true collector. It would be so easy to cheat and complete your set but that would be 51 years down the drain and a set you never actually "completed" since it is a from circulation set.
    I've never been that persistant and all I can say is 50 Ds aren't as searched for as they were in the 50's, 60's & 70's and with all the CoinStar machines out there returning stagnant change back to circulation I think it's still possible to find one.
    Keep looking!
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • CoulportCoulport Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭
    At this stage of the game, your chances of finding a '50D Jefferson are slim and none.

"persistant/stubborn" are not terms that immediately come to mind for this task. image

I/we went through bags and bags of nickels in the 60s and never found a 50D.

Time to just go out and buy one. Problem is finding a circulated one. That's a very rare item.
    The most money I made are on coins I haven't sold.

Got quoins?
  • cladkingcladking Posts: 28,532 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I share your pain. I have been attempting to assemble a complete set of NJ copper die varieties from circulation since 1999 and have so far the closest thing I have found is a 1972 Canadian nickel which, while I can't be certain, appaears to have a beaver on it. >>

I can empathize with your pain. You may not be putting enough effort
    into it or are looking in the wrong place. These are rarely seen in cent
    rolls now days. Indeed, one finds mostly only zinc cents now. So only
    check the large cent rolls. Some banks don't get enough of these any-
    more to make full rolls so always ask for singles too. Also prodding the
    tellers may help. Tell them you need all the cents with a horse or a plow
    on it. Finding uncs is getting especially difficult. If you can't find these or
    the ones you need you may need to contact a coin dealer.

The good news is that many of these rare coins can be surprisingly inex-
    pensive.

Good Luck; SAM
    Tempus fugit.
  • cladkingcladking Posts: 28,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got a 50-D in change in 1964! They are still out there, but there are probably
    no more than a few thousand (many high grade and again in circulation). I've
    found several 39-D's but just the one 50-D.
    Tempus fugit.
  • In the grand scheme of things, does it really matter if he ever finds a 1950-D in change if he has fun looking for it? I think not. image
    Time sure flies when you don't know what you are doing...

CoinPeople.com || CoinWiki.com || NumisLinks.com
  • hughesm1hughesm1 Posts: 778 ✭✭
    I've been working on a Jeff folder since 1980 (it's what got me started collecting.) The first coin I found was stuck in the family dryer, a 1939-D in AU58. Since then, I've filled the first folder out of circ finds with the exception of the 1950-P which I purchased in 1981 with allowance money. I still haven't completed it, missing only the 1955-P. The 1950-D I found in a slot machine in Arizona in 1999. I won't purchase the 1955-P either, still want to find it from circulation.
    Mark
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,506 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Time to just go out and buy one. Problem is finding a circulated one. That's a very rare item. >>

Much rarer than an UNC, for sure. That's a very long shot.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • haletjhaletj Posts: 2,192
    I was just looking through the type set registry, and "Best of the Worst" has a 50-d nickel in F15. It's a population 1 coin. He has lots of population 1 coins! What a neat set.
  • Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    I recently started searching (one or so years)$2 rolls for war nicks and better dates or dates I didnt have.
    Never considered buying my two BU `50 Ds and a few other early dates in
    higher grade at the shop or a show cheating. I just wanna complete set to date then go back and upgrade
    the lower grades.But I do respect the notion of building a `strictly from circulation` set.
    That takes will power and patience.

On the `50 D I think nearly all were held back by those that could and prices were strong for one for quite awhile.
    Still a better date Jeff to have but a well curculated piece from pocket change is probably more and more unlikely
    by the day.
    Personally the dates I,m having trouble finding in rolls are `59 P,`55 P just off the top of my head.
  • I found every Jefferson nickel except the 39S, 44S, and the 50D. I admitted defeat and bought them!!image
  • OnlyBuffalos -
    If I ever come across a '50-D Jefferson in circulation, you have my word that I will not remove it from circulation, with the hopes that it will one day make it to your pocket.
    Just My 2 Cents,
    Big Mike <><

Let your roots grow down into him and draw up nourishment from him, so you will grow in faith, strong and vigorous in the truth you were taught. Let your lives overflow with thanksgiving for all that he has done. --Colossians 2:7
  • ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,776 ✭✭✭✭
    WOW! I'm really impressed with your persistance.

I wouldn't give up either, not when you are so close. I still find Jefferson's from the 40's and 50's from time to time so you know one (hopefully more than that) is floating around somewhere.

NPR did a story last year on the impact of CoinStar on the mint. CoinStar are those machines you see in grocery stores that allow you to cash out the tons of loose change most people accumulate over the years. Supposedly, the devices have returned so many coins into circulation that the mint has had to cut back a little their production rates.

Anyway, you know there must be some old coins being returned to circulation via this route. I'm guessing you'll have to schedule regular visits to the bank so you can look through rolls of nickels. I used to do this as a kid.

Good luck.
    Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • lathmachlathmach Posts: 4,720
    I got a 50D nickle from a Coke machine back in 1964. Only one I ever found in change.

Ray
  • Back in the 50's, I would borrow $100 from my father and buy nickels from the bank. Searched them and returned all but the better dates and buffalos with dates. Then a few days later do the same thing. After many many trips to the bank over 10 to 15 years, I found 4 1950-D nickels. I quit doing this before getting married in 1963. It is a very difficult date. Good luck
  • Thanks for the memory...had a flashback of searching through nickles at Dad's beseeching. That memory would never had bubbled up...thanks!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file