Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Which coin would you rather have (idea stolen from Coinguy, shamelessly)?

This one?

Or this one?

Singapore

Comments

• Options
    mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭
    The second coin. It's not quite as pretty, but the strike looks better.
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
  • Options
    the second one has more detail on the high points. for one, you can see the hairline on the woman holding the pole
    Life's a journey, not a destination.
  • Options
    ERER Posts: 7,345
    Stolen idea. BANNED!image Fork over the second coin please.image
  • Options
    Tough choice as I find both of them very appealing. I think i would have to say #1 but it really is a toss up for me on this one.

Edited to say that I hope I am not banned because I sort of stole Mark's idea for my site although I changed it up and combined it with another borrowed idea. image
    Time sure flies when you don't know what you are doing...

CoinPeople.com || CoinWiki.com || NumisLinks.com
  • Options
    Coin #1 is a PCGS 64, coin 2 is PCGS 63.
    Singapore
  • Options
    BigD5BigD5 Posts: 3,433
    The second coin seems to have much more detail. Both coins have fabulous eye appeal.
    If they are both your coins, have you cornered the market on these tokens???? imageimage
    BigD5
    LSCC#1864

Ebay Stuff
  • Options
    I don't own them both -
    Singapore
  • Options
    I like the second one for the reason mentioned. I want to see the detail on the woman holding the pole as well as everybody else.

Cool coin, I haven't seen one like that before.
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    I want both!

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    LincolnCentManLincolnCentMan Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭✭
    I've got a feeling if you send both in through the grade review process.... at the same time, something will get changed.

David

I like the second one better...
  • Options
    LincolnCentMan -

Actually, they WERE sent in at the same time and the result held. The top coin is the only weakly struck Myddleton token I have ever seen in any past catalog and it is also the highest graded example by PCGS as a 64. The bottom as I noted is a 63.

Strike should not be considered as a component of grade, I suppose, but in the registry, for example, the top coin would bring top points. Doesn't seem quite right.

Singapore
  • Options
    HigashiyamaHigashiyama Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very interesting example.

Although the obverse of coin # 1 is much weaker than coin # 2, isn't the reverse of coin # 1 very slightly stronger?

Both coins have very attractive color, but it would be necessary to see in person to make a comparison on this basis. However, probably I would choose number 2 beause of the flatness of # 1 obverse.
    Higashiyama
  • Options
    East Mountain -

In person, the reverse strikes are really about the same.

The obverse of coin 1 is flat and is lacking detail that is present on every other Myddleton token I have seen, and that is more than 15 of them (there might be 20 - 25 in existence).

Can there possibly be any other examples of any other coin where the highest graded example on the pop report is also the worst struck?

Singapore

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file