Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Is the Lincoln cent 1909-2003 the longest running obverse design?

I haven't hit the books, but it dawned on me that this is nearly 100 years of the same design (with minor die / design variations over the years.. Is this the longest? Anyone know what is #2?
Tom

NOTE: No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Type collector since 1981
Current focus 1855 date type set

Comments

• Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would have to agree with you. I can't think of another series that even comes close. Considering the US has only been officially been minting coins for the last 210 years, and the Lincoln obverse has been running for 94 of those years.

Doug
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,022 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It most certainly is... Washington comes next, but he ended in 1998... only 66 years.
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you allow for changes in composition and design then it's the longest running
    US coin design (some darkside designs have lasted for hundreds of years). The
    longest running design without changes was Coronet $2.50 design and the second
    longest is the clad dime design.

$2.50 not $5. -clad dimes would only be the 2nd longest non-gold.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    For the US, yep. Although the portrait has changed over the years.
  • Options
    wingedlibertywingedliberty Posts: 4,805 ✭✭
    Cladking:
    You're right. Consider the Maria Theresa Thalers. Same obverse for over 200+ years.
    Also, the Mexican Liberty caps, Queen Victoria, and others.

Brian.
  • Options
    lclugzalclugza Posts: 568 ✭✭
    On the "Darkside," I think Switzerland is still using designs from the middle of the nineteenth century! It would be like the US still using the Seated Liberty designs, and still making Indian Head cents!
    image"Darkside" gold
  • Options
    Interesting info, cladking. Thanks.
    Doug
  • Options
    I think the Coronet quarter eagle actually holds the record for the longest run without a change. It ran (I think) 67 years, 1840-1907. And the Coronet $5 with motto ran 1866-1908, 42 years, and the Coronet $10 with motto ran 1866-1907, 41 years. All three of these ran longer than the clad dime (38 years, 1965-2003).
    image"Darkside" gold
  • Options
    However, we have all forgotten that the Jefferson nickel has been unchanged for 57 years, since the nickel composition returned in 1946 (of course that run is scheduled to end soon, with the use of the new Lewis & Clark reverse). And the Indian cent went 45 years without a major change, 1864-1909.
    image"Darkside" gold
  • Options
    I think the original question was only about "obverse design", which would be the Lincoln - 94 years.

But . . . I have certainly learned from the thread.

We have the Coronet quarter eagle actually holds the record for the longest run without a change in design or composition. 67 years, 1840-1907

QUESTION 2:

Now, if we consider obverse and reverse design (not metal composition), would it be the Jefferson Nickel 38-03 (66 years +)
    or the Washington Quarter 32-98? That's 67 years, but there were none in 33, and in 32 it was not intended to be a series when it was produced . . . so how long did the Washington Quarter design run for ??????

Doug
  • Options

<< <i>I think the Coronet quarter eagle actually holds the record for the longest run without a change. It ran (I think) 67 years, 1840-1907. And the Coronet $5 with motto ran 1866-1908, 42 years, and the Coronet $10 with motto ran 1866-1907, 41 years. All three of these ran longer than the clad dime (38 years, 1965-2003). >>

Oops! I misspoke you're correct, it is the $2.50. The $5 had several changes.

The Jefferson nickel had the designers initial added in '66 and the mint mark moved in '42, '45, and '68.

This isn't my day. Forgot all about the indian cent. Thanks.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    I would think for the Lincoln the obverse design was consistant from `09-`82

With the Zincolns from `82 to now the head of Lincoln is slightly smaller and in lower relief.

Is this too minor a design change for the question?

• Options
    Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536
    Washington quarter was also broken by a one and half year design change in 75 and 76.
  • Options

<< <i>I would think for the Lincoln the obverse design was consistant from `09-`82

>>

The Lincolns were also broken by the 1943 composition change. The other compositional
    changes though may be splitting hairs. Designer's initials were added in 1918.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    merz2merz2 Posts: 2,474
    I still think the design will change in 2009 or they will get rid of the cent all together.
    Don
    Registry 1909-1958 Proof Lincolns

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file