Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

A positive thread about a generous member

goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
This will probably be shuffled off of the first page in an hours time since it does not involve bashing or controversy but I will post it anyway.

The other night I started a thread asking about the "100 Greatest US Coins" book and solicited opinions as well as comments as the cheapest source.

It wasn't long after I posted the thread I recieved a PM from a member requesting my address so he could mail me a copy for free. Shocked, I wrote back and asked to at least purchase 1 copy from him for another family member. He wrote back and basically refused my money and said the books would be in the mail and asked that I stop and say "hi" in Baltimore.

The books arrived today. Very nice book with great pictures and nice little write-ups on each coin. It would be nice for a coffee table if I had one. LOL

I thought I'd share this great show of generosity by one of ours with you guys/gals.

Comments

• Options
    LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • Options
    barberloverbarberlover Posts: 2,229
    Goose 3, I had a very similar experience with a board member when i asked a similar question about patterns. I thanked him in a pm out of fear he might get flooded for requests for free books.

I'd like it if sometime if you and i and fudude and sinin 1 could get together on the weekend and just shoot the breeze awhile.

A few of us did this last year before the northwest show and it was fun.

Maybe we could do this before the m.o.o.n. show this fall ? Les
    The President claims he didn't lie about taxes for those earning less then $250,000 a year with public mandated health insurance yet his own justice department has said they will use the right of the government to tax when the states appeals go to court.
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Goose, great to hear of the generosity!

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    Stories like these give me "goose" bumps. TTT-------------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • Options
    nuckleheadnucklehead Posts: 1,500
    Great story! I'm going to try and get one signed at the next Long Beach show.
    Friends are Gods way of apologizing for your relatives.
  • Options
    Goose3, just shows that there are nice people in the world. image

Dave
    Love those toned Washingtons
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    Good to hear that the Lightside can be a friendly place, this sort of thing happens almost every day on the Darkside.
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    .....another shameless plug by one of those "Darksiders"......imageimageimage

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Goose, It couldnt happen to a nicer guy!!

You are pretty generous yourself!

Tbigimage
  • Options
    mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭
    Great story Goose. There are a lot of nice folks in the coin hobby. You are one of them. mdwoods
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
  • Options
    who was that guy? mdwoods?

btw, could someone please send me $100? :-)
  • Options
    RampageRampage Posts: 9,428 ✭✭✭✭
    Goose-

I love hearing stories like this. Makes me think that the hobby is still filled with nice people who care about each other rather than folks who do not care about each other but rather the money.

Richard.

PS----That is a very nice book. I saw it at Books-A-Million and flipped through the pages. But, I did not buy it. I still want it and will eventually get it.
  • Options
    ERER Posts: 7,345
    Got to be NumisEd.imageimage
  • Options
    This should be bumped, just so it can give people a good weekend vibe.
    Just My 2 Cents,
    Big Mike <><

Let your roots grow down into him and draw up nourishment from him, so you will grow in faith, strong and vigorous in the truth you were taught. Let your lives overflow with thanksgiving for all that he has done. --Colossians 2:7
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,810 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool!
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    ksteelheaderksteelheader Posts: 11,777
    Great to hear good things occasionally...Ken
  • Options
    merz2merz2 Posts: 2,474
    We can all help promote the hobby by shareing info,books,knowledge.This will help us all in the end.
    Don
    Registry 1909-1958 Proof Lincolns
  • Options

<< <i>who was that guy? mdwoods?

btw, could someone please send me $100? :-) >>

How about a Billion? Does anyone have any German inflationary marks they could spare. I once saw a single bill with the denomination 100 BILLION! And since you didn't specify the currency....Worse yet someone could send you Canadian dollars (or are they pesos now)...image
  • Options
    northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The dealers where I live are always donating coins to good causes for their various auctions. On this board so many give of their time to answer questions and offer help. Not a bad group to hang around with it looks like.
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    There have been many acts of generousity on these boards. And even though they do not get disclosed. It is nice to hear about them now and then.

Kudos to you (you know who you are).

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file