Home U.S. Coin Forum

Question for Lincoln experts (maybe others)

I don't believe I've seen this issue discussed here, though I may have missed it. My question is this: How high can the MS grade go on a brown Lincoln? I have a 1926-S which is all brown, but is definitely uncirculated. Probably sat in some box in a drawer for who knows how long. The strike is very sharp, even under magnification and there are no visible spots, bag marks, etc. If this were a RD, I think it would grade 66 easily. (I wish it were RD!) But, since it's brown, how high can it go?

Thanks for your thoughts!
Coppernicus

Lincoln Wheats (1909 - 1958) Basic Set - Always Interested in Upgrading!

Comments

• Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    MS65.

Alittle spotty MS63-64

For a 66 the blemishes would have to be microscopic.

• CoppernicusCoppernicus Posts: 1,764
    OK Cam40 - I see your point but there are no blemishes! Close examination under high power reveals fields that are mark free and spot free - just a uniform shiny chocolate brown. Must a Lincoln be red to get 66 or higher? Something tells me "yes" but I am not sure.

Coppernicus

• Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    A BN can still have visible luster and reflectivity.
    Is this the case of yours?
  • CoppernicusCoppernicus Posts: 1,764
    Yes and Yes! The brown patina does not dull the surfaces - you can tell that when this one was struck, it was awesome. When I tilt it into the light, you can see some underlying golden reddish hue, especially on the obverse. It's kind of like a naturally toned DMPL Morgan. The toning doesn't have to ruin the reflectivity.

I have a feeling this one will be in my next batch to PCGS. It'll be interesting to see how it ends up. Even if it goes say, MS60 BN, it's still a semi-key.
    Coppernicus

• tjkilliantjkillian Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭
    I deal mostly with indian cents, but it is copper just the same. If the coin is very glossy and has the "look", I don't see why it cannot grade MS-66 or higher. I know it cannot go MS-70, but brown copper can look very nice. I would rather have a uniform brown the splotchy red any day.

Tom
    Tom

• IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,737 ✭✭✭
    Don't know about Lincolns, but I have seen some 67 brown IHCs graded by the major companies. I can't think of a good reason why a Lincoln shouldn't be if it deserves the grade.
  • The online pops show 8 MS66BN's for Lincolns and a couple hundred MS65BN's.

perfectstrike
  • dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,691 ✭✭✭
    brown lincolns can't be MS, though they might be UNC image

K S

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file