Home U.S. Coin Forum

Toning?

Okay I have sit here and wondered for way too long. I am a newby and enjoy the forums very much. They have been very helpful and entertaining. But i don't quite understand the toning issue. What causes it, couldn't it beadded with chemicals, why is it so popular, any info could help. In fact when I first started, I thought the coins were ugly and not worth buying but I must say I am starting to think about getting on the toning band wagon.

Comments

• LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,001 ✭✭✭
    some toning can and is applied!

imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • numonebuyernumonebuyer Posts: 2,136
    A great question.

Natural toning occurs on silver because the silver is a reactive metal. Silver will react to most of the older style coin books and coin rolls and bags (that they were kept in). Pure gold, on the other hand, is very non-reactive. Toning on gold coins is caused by the reaction to the impurities added to gold to make the coin stronger.

Unnatural toning is caused by unnatural means (i.e., people trying to make a fast buck and help the coin along). It takes a professional grader to tell the difference between the two (in most cases).

I am sure you will get a lot more posts on this question.

Numonebuyer
  • islemanguislemangu Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭
    Natural toning is also sometimes unnaturally dipped to remove the toning to also give the coin a little added boost in the eyes of the holder sometimes. (like in the mens room at LongBeach) Much more prevalent of course when everybody felt the way you did that toning was ugly. I think the verdict is still out the dipping issue to a degree? I have never dipped a coin so maybe some experience can chime in, but my understanding is some types/repeated?? dipping destroys/diffuses natural mint luster which may not warrant a body bag but would definitely take points away from the final grade.

Remember this when the anti-toning guys are calling everything AT while the are huddled around their pristine white beamersimage
    YCCTidewater.com

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file