Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Got me a nice new holey for the vest!

lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,432 ✭✭✭✭✭

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• Options
    RGLRGL Posts: 3,784
    Even with the hole, better sew that one on double tight! Good catch, me Lord. image
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    imageimageimage

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    Way cool! Is that your oldest?

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    Oldest U.S. coin. The world coins on the vest go back to the 1200's.

Actually, that is the oldest U.S. coin I've ever owned, period. Previously, I've had three different 1798 cents, all unholed (and one of them a 1798/7).

I bid on a holed 1795 Bust dollar, but it went for over $750 in the end- more than twice my max bid!! image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Mr. LM!

So very cool! Even if it is holded, it looks wonderful! Where are you going to put it? front? back?
  • Options
    Great coin LM.
    Bill

The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.
  • Options
    TootawlTootawl Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭
    Extremely cool find! One of these days, I have to see your vest & hat. Are you coming to the ANA show in Baltimore?
    PCGS Currency: HOF 2013, Best Low Ball Set 2009-2014, 2016, 2018. Appreciation Award 2015, Best Showcase 2018, Numerous others.
  • Options
    Thanks, y'all. image

I'll probably put it on the front of the vest. That's where the type coins and the world coins are. The back of the vest is a date set of large cents, but I chose to start those at 1800 and exclude the 1804. When I started the vest I didn't believe in spending "real money" on "damaged" coins. Now that I've started to really have fun with it, I've thrown caution to the wind and have actually spent over $100 on a few holeys, mostly in the case of the gold coins on my Holey Gold Hat. This cent is probably the first nongold holey I've spent over $100 on. I paid $120-something for it.

• Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    She's ready to join the hole above the head gang!
  • Options
    vam44vam44 Posts: 291
    Do you have/want an 1807/6 large cent? I have one with not only a strong overdate,but 2 holes!!!Double bonus!image
    A dealer once asked me if I noticed any three-legged buffalos on the bourse,to which I replied,"...no,but I saw alot of two-legged jackasses..."
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,468 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Photos of the vest please!~

peacockcoins

• Options
    Tootawl- unfortunately, no Baltimore for me. image

Vam44- I've got a fairly decent 1807/6 on the back of the vest, thanks. image
    Still need a few for the date set, though- those are in my sig line wantlist.

Braddick- there's a pic of the vest and hat on my eBay page. Unfortunately, I don't have any good closeups or decent pictures of the back... yet. Had my picture taken several times at Charlotte and the last two FUN shows, but never saw the results.

• Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭✭
    Let's all just get to work out there, and make proper holes in the coins that Rob still needs, and send them to him! image

Rob, did the 1861 half dollar I sent you ever make it onto the vest? If not, ah well.

I thought of you when I saw a really pretty nice 1795 half dime, holed, in a local coin auction here in Chicago a few months ago. Nice details and surfaces otherwise - about like a fine - but still too rich for my blood at better than $500 to start anyway.

Subtract a zero (I wish) and I would've bought it and sent it to you as a surprise!
  • Options

<< <i>Rob, did the 1861 half dollar I sent you ever make it onto the vest? If not, ah well >>

Thanks. image

I just got four or five more Seated halves, and can't remember which one or two are on the vest, to be honest.

• Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭✭
    But I bet if I could've afforded it, you'd've found a place for a 1795 holey half dime! image

Great find on the holey 1794 cent, BTW. image
  • Options
    Yeah, a 1795 half dime would have been nice! But they're kind of small. If I ever do another vest or hat or whatever (this is actually Holey Coin Vest II), I might do all love tokens. Those are tempting. Maybe even a date set of later-date Seated dime love tokens- there would be a challenge!

Mostly what I seek now is the large cents I lack for the date set on the back, a Fugio cent, a Bust dollar, and some gold for the hat, now.

• Options

<< <i>Rob, did the 1861 half dollar I sent you ever make it onto the vest? If not, ah well. >>

Checked the vest when I got home last night. Not only is the 1861 on there, but it's likely to remain for some time. It's far and away the nicest of the holey Seated halves I have. Thanks again. image

• Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Great holey cent, meLord! I see you've finally got the 1821 cent covered?

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    Yep. The 1821 was much easier than I expected it would be.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file