Home U.S. Coin Forum

Cool Green 1945 Jefferson

HadleydogHadleydog Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭
Found this at one of the Long Beach shows last year. Obviously from the Appalachion hoard, housed in an NGC ms-66 T holder. Saw quite a few of them around back then, but I didn't see any at the last show. imageimage

Comments

• GaCoinGuyGaCoinGuy Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭✭
    Nice!
    imageimage

• nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,386 ✭✭✭
    PURRRRRTY! I need one. I have a colorful one that is not an Appalachian one in at NGC right now. Results will come probably by month's end.

Neil
  • clackamasclackamas Posts: 5,615
    Nice coin. Is it a FS?
  • HadleydogHadleydog Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭
    Clackamas, It was not fs. Holdered before the star designation by ngc as it sure deserved it. Has anyone seen the T designation (for toned) used by ngc on any other series besides the war nickels? Sure wish pcgs would use the star too........
  • What is the Appalachion hoard?
  • HadleydogHadleydog Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭
    A fairly large hoard of silver war nickels that all exibit the most incredible rainbow toning one could imagine. image
  • braddickbraddick Posts: 23,798 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>What is the Appalachion hoard? >>

A grouping of Jefferson nickels from the War years that were housed in rolls and bags with many of them taking on pretty tones of pink/blue/green/yellow.

NGC holdered them (it'll be two years this coming August or so).
    There is speculation the hoard ranges from 50 coins to 500. I don't believe in what I've seen and read and the people I've talked to it is as low as 50, but 500 also appears to be on the high side.

Many of these received the STAR ranking with NGC (66's and 67's). Although many have been attempted at a cross with PCGS I've only heard of one that was successfull (and that may have been a bit of BS on the submitter's part).

Pretty coins. I own three of them, each NGC MS67* and each with a slightly different color scheme.
    There was a thread running on the NGC side regarding these Jeffersons that provide more detail (such as the hoard dispersant.

peacockcoins

• For the record, only a small portion of the Appalachian Hoard Collection is in the NGC holder with the T and the tiny serial number...maybe 15-20% total. The rest of the Hoard is in the next generations holder, with the larger serial number, and NGC *
    The total number of coins slabbed was not as large as the entire Hoard. Not all the War jeffs were "worth" sending in. There were other coins in the Hoard other than the War Nickels, but they went to private collections immediately after grading.
    K

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the
    moments that take our breath away.
  • What kind of money do they bring?
  • braddickbraddick Posts: 23,798 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>What kind of money do they bring? >>

I paid between $325.00 and $450.00 each and would do it again. Possibly the MS66's go for a tad less?

peacockcoins

• baccarudabaccaruda Posts: 2,588 ✭✭
    sweet coin. $425? I'm loading Jefferson rolls into my attic right now!

1 Tassa-slap
    2 Cam-Slams!
    1 Russ POTD!
  • I bought a lime yellow one in 65*. It is sitting right here. This coin (and Tonelover) inspired me to buy a Wayte Raymond album and some lusterous war nickels. However even in 30 years I don't think I can come up with something like these image

• solidsolid Posts: 2,975
    I have the twin to your nickel!

I also have a 44D graded 67T, which has more gold/pink than green.

Many of these that I've seen exhibit this strange tone pattern on the
    reverse - I have no idea what caused this.

Nice pics everyone! Mine is an old scan - I'll have to take some photos
    of both coins...one of these days image

Ken

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file