Home U.S. Coin Forum

To Join or Not to Join...?

The ANA that is. What are your opinions? Is the Numismatist a good publication? Are the benefits worth the costs?
Just My 2 Cents,
Big Mike <><

Let your roots grow down into him and draw up nourishment from him, so you will grow in faith, strong and vigorous in the truth you were taught. Let your lives overflow with thanksgiving for all that he has done. --Colossians 2:7

Comments

• RussRuss Posts: 48,514 ✭✭✭
    I'm a member. For $33 a year, I think it's worth it.

Russ, NCNE
  • I'm not a member....not particularly impressed with Numismatists that I've read...shows too far away...only benefit I might see for me is access to their Library...so for me it isn't really worth it...
  • mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,544 ✭✭✭
    You get access to a lot of information, and there are other benefits as well. The magazine has improved as of late. mdwoods
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
  • ms70ms70 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭✭

One of the benefits is you can insure your collection through a company they have an agreement with at a very reasonable rate.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    I'm not a member. I can't support an organization that is in bed with industry to generate income, regardless of ethics, and does nothing to protect the consumer from getting ripped off by unscrupulous dealers and grading services.
  • nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,386 ✭✭✭
    Yes, it's worth it. The Numismatist is a good pub. And you get discounts on their books and seminars. The seminar discounts are awesome and more than make up the cost of the membership. And the seminars themselves are AWESOME!!!!
  • I'm a member, and I'm very glad of it.
  • TootawlTootawl Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭
    Been a member for 2 years. Will probably re-up at the end of the year.
    PCGS Currency: HOF 2013, Best Low Ball Set 2009-2014, 2016, 2018. Appreciation Award 2015, Best Showcase 2018, Numerous others.
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,509 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I let my membership lapse almost ten years ago and just rejoined this year. I'm glad I did.

I hear there are some NGC submission benefits, which I plan to use. The show was great. The Numismatist is a much better publication than it used to be during my earlier membership.

IMHO, it's worth it.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • I like the magazine. I also think the ANA does some good things with education and hobby promotion. Could they do more for the hobby? Yes. Are they perfect? No. I do think however that the hobby is better because they are around. The $33 a year might buy me one or two coins instead but I still feel it is worth it. For some people $33 wouldn't even buy a holder for their coins. image

I think the ANA must do a poor job of letting the collecting community know what they are about, education and hobby promotion, when the comments and questions I hear most about membership is "What do I get out of it?" or "It doesn't offer me anything." Or maybe others don't feel they do good for the hobby.

Time sure flies when you don't know what you are doing...

CoinPeople.com || CoinWiki.com || NumisLinks.com
  • krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    I've been a member for a long time. I feel it's important to have a large, recognized organization that can speak for collectors and I want to support that. Yes, there is room for improvement, but overall they are a large asset to the hobby. The library alone is worth the dues.

The ANA Summer Seminars can't be duplicated anywhere regardless of cost. The seminars have recognized experts who donate their time to lead classes. Where else can you take a grading class taught by PCGS, NGC and ANACS graders? Or a class about FE and Indian Head cents taught by Rick Snow? It is fantastic.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• The NUMISMATIST has been revamped and IMO could stand against any publication
    out there. This has also bought in more professional, writers. The magazine, as it
    stands now is well worth the cost of membership. And I think the ANA has finally
    come to grips with their static memembership and are honestly trying to re-invent
    themselves to attact more people. This isn't new, they've had a static memembership
    for decades but in most cases just did a little window dressing and hoped it would work.
    It never did. I think this time they are really serious about making the ANA more attractive
    to new members and for that reason now be be the best time ever to join. Join on the
    up cycle.

"It's an experimental division at Ft. Benning, and
    your lucky to be assigned there rather than anywhere
    else, because nobody knows anything about it, which
    means that you should know quickly as much about it
    as anybody."
    1st Cav in Vietnam
    Shelby Stanton
  • Worth more than the dues I paid for over 40 years. Spent about 3 weeks doing research at the library over seveal years. The Bass collection is great. The Numismatist is worth the dues by itself. Save money with NGC. I'll be a member for many more years.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file