Home U.S. Coin Forum

Long Beach and sanity gone on bids!

image Lot # 5227 was a 1877 IHC that was ANACS graded- tooled and whizzed, netted F-12 and XF details and still recieved a bid of $1150.00. An NGC graded '77 in XF40 netted a bid of $1265.00!

Am I missing something or haven't I had enough medication and electro-shock therapy! I realize that it is an important and key date, but in the series of bidding it was third in the '77 group and still netted as much as a clean graded coin!

Would you bid that price knowing you could get an XF40 or AU-58 for $100 to $300 more and leave a coin alone that was tooled and whizzed!
I still confused!image
HEAD TUCKED AND ROLLING ALONG ENJOYING THE VIEW! [Most people I know!]

NEVER LET HIPPO MOUTH OVERLOAD HUMMINGBIRD BUTT!!!

WORK HARDER!!!!
Millions on WELFARE depend on you!

Comments

• haletjhaletj Posts: 2,192
    I guess you would need to see the coin for yourself, which the bidders must have done. Maybe the cleaning was extremeley minor. Just yesterday my local dealer showed me a 23-s quarter, which had had some annoying tiny spot of something on it. I guess he used a toothpick to just lightly pluck it off, leaving no damage whatsoever to the naked eye. He sent it to PCGS, got it returned bodybagged. That's pretty ridiculous as it is a totally fine coin, I guess with only the tiniest microscopic speck from the toothpick. This wasn't an ms67 or ms68 but a ms63 or something, should that really matter. Maybe it was the same type of thing for this XF indian cent.
  • jeffnpcbjeffnpcb Posts: 1,943
    The point mainly being is that it would be BB'd by everyone else and it is still whizzed and tooled! For $100 more, the XF40 and AU58 clean coins is a far better deal.
    HEAD TUCKED AND ROLLING ALONG ENJOYING THE VIEW! [Most people I know!]

NEVER LET HIPPO MOUTH OVERLOAD HUMMINGBIRD BUTT!!!

WORK HARDER!!!!
    Millions on WELFARE depend on you!
  • Sanity is just an opinion!
    You can fool man but you can't fool God! He knows why you do what you do!
  • clackamasclackamas Posts: 5,615
    5417 1,725.00 1943-S 1C MS68 PCGS
    5408 1,380.00 1943 1C MS68 PCGS

Nearly the same POP on both coins.
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 23,024 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess nothing is surprising anymore...

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• 5417 1,725.00 1943-S 1C MS68 PCGS
    5408 1,380.00 1943 1C MS68 PCGS

Nearly the same POP on both coins.

yea it was a pretty wierd auction. I won lot# 5409 1,150$ B1943 1C MS68 PCGS.

and I think this coin was the better of the two.

it seems to me that heritage has some kinda internet problem, my guess would be not enough bandwidth.
    and some people can't bid on certain items at the last minute.

heck they might not even be able to log on.
    so it can actually help you get some better coins at the last minute if you have a monster internet connection.

just my opinion.

may the force be with you.

rob.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file