Home U.S. Coin Forum

need some info on buying coins-new poster

what % of a price guide does everybody buy there coins at,graded and ungraded, been looking at some pcgs ms-66 liberty halves thanks in advance for any help
jeff
set needs
03/04 & 05/06 topps black
72-77 topps baseball raw
72-75 topps football raw
any years santo,williams,banks,
payton,butkus,sayers,piccalo,ditka,hampton
wantlist

good transactions katscards,swartz1,packman,Salinas

Comments

• Jeff - you can always search closed auctions on eBay to see what pcgs slabbed coins have been going for. There is usually quite a spread for coins with the same grade due to eye appeal, toning, and even the time of day that the auction closes.
  • krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    The problem is there is no single reliable price guide to use. I notice in your sig that you are a card collector, and my understanding is that cards tend to sell for a percentage under Beckett. So even though cards don't sell for Beckett prices, you can still use them to figure out an appropriate price. It's not like that with coins.

First I would check ebay completed items and see what they have been going for. You might consider buying a copy of the (Bluesheet ) which lists prices for dealer-to-dealer transactions (you might not be able to buy at those prices as a retail customer, but you'll have some idea of what the going rate is. The regular Greysheet only lists Walkers up to MS65.

You can look on coinworld.com where you can search the inventory of many different dealers from a single search.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Catch22Catch22 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭
    Nascar, it all depends on the particulars of the coin. You really can't cover a blanket percentage. It's really tough on the higher graded coins like a 66. Once you start dealing with 66 and better coins, you really have see the coin to determine what someone might pay.

You might consider using the Auction Archives at the Heritage Rare Coins site to get a feel for what the coins you are considering are bringing at auction. While you are at it, be sure and make note of the price differences between a coin in MS-65 and MS-66. It can be mind boggling....not to mention expensive.

When we are planning for posterity, we ought to remember that virtue is not hereditary.

Thomas Paine
  • coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,484 ✭✭✭
    Jeff,

If you care to provide me with a list (including the grade and grading company), either here, or by private message, I'd be happy to try to give you suggested price ranges.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file