Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Was KinCoin right? Silver proof die cracks galore!

So I just read collect.com's Numismatic eNewsletter. According to Ken Potter "Error dealers around the country have estimated the value of this newest Spiked Head find to be at least double, possibly triple, the current $70 retail value of the full 2002 silver proof set." and the editor said "Now a second coin variety has been discovered in the 2002-S silver proof set that could make some sets worth four to six times original issue price."

Original article on spiked head kennedy

KinCoin was told die cracks add nothing (or very little at best) to the value of these coins... image

Comments

• Options
    LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭
    all hail the King!
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • Options
    Numismatic News had a picture of the "Pissing Minuteman" in the article image
    Bill

The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.
  • Options
    critocrito Posts: 1,735
    I posted this Tennessee quarter I found the other day in clad proof set. Nobody here seemed interested... but just in case anyone claims credit for the discovery later:

It's not coming out of the head or chin, more like the neck, straight through the D, to rim. I'm calling it "George on a stick" image but "the spiked neck Tennessee clad proof variety" is OK too image I wonder if that'll fit on a slab label, hehe image

• Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    I'm pretty sure the NN article cited some dealers who backed off their original estimate for the spiked head Kennedy die crack, so maybe they are being a little excitable.

I'll believe the estimates when I see actual sales at those prices.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Was KinCoin right? >>

Well he is/was THE KING OF COINS!

personally, I wouldn't pay any premium for them unless they looked like that CWT that Shylock posted a pic of.
  • Options
    The two they quoted, Potter and Weinberg, are tops in their field (error coins that is). I'd take their guess-timates over anyone elses any day.
  • Options
    Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    The more dramatic ,visable, or seemingly impossible the error the more value I think is how it works.
    Name recognition can be another driving force of percieved value.ah la ``55 Bugs Bunny Half`,................
    Lets call this one the `3 legged Kennedy`. imageimage
  • Options
    Doesn't this guy work for PCGS? image

• Options
    Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    Your link takes me to an article called "Two dealers plead guilty to autograph forgery" so I can't comment on it.
    I don't doubt that Potter & Weinberg quoted the sets @ 4-6X issue price since they will be selling the sets.
    IMO it's just a bunch of hype like all the new discoveries are. They will have strong prices at first until the handfull of collectors who want those kind of things get theirs then fizzle out.
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • Options
    BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    Wow, that's a prety big crack! Looks like he is being struck by lightningimage------------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • Options
    Well, http://conecaonline.org/ has it on the front page of their web site. They're supposed to know something about these things too image

the cracks don't seem all that large or dramatic to me, and the importance of the "head" location eludes me. Bugs Bunny Franklin's I can understand, but a spiked chin or head as opposed to another part of a founding father's anatomy... I don't get it image
  • Options
    Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the coneca link. I agree they are neat and major as far as cracked Proofs are concerned but they don't give me a jolt. JFK error collectors are starved for errors but few bother with cracks.
    Any prems will come from the marketing hype and not the nature of the error. IMO of course.
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • Options
    prooflikeprooflike Posts: 3,879 ✭✭
    Hey, modern people need something to collect too image

Personally, I can't see a die crack commanding that much premium.

• Options
    I'm glad I never sold my "pissing minute man" does any one know how many of these are out there?
  • Options
    I'd think a die would be more likely to crack striking nickel than silver, so a little surprised the Jefferson is getting this kind of attention. Maybe I should send my clad Tennessee quarter to Coneca image

No idea rd. I don't have one of those.
  • Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    From what I have heard of there are only about 10-15 known right now. I think KinCoin has 3 or 4, I have 2 and a few other people have 1 each.
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• Options
    richbeatrichbeat Posts: 2,288
    From the July 2003 COINage, page 101:

" 'I'd say my level is $300 to $500,' Weinberg said. 'It's not a $2000 coin.' Another error dealer would concur with Weinberg that this is 'not a $2000 coin'--but that's because he publicly declared that the cracked Kennedy was worth $5000."

The article did not identify who this error dealer was. image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file