Home U.S. Coin Forum

Hypothetical -Lincoln value 46-P and 47-P in 67RD?

What do the Lincoln folks think a 46-P POP 3, and 47-P POP 5 would be worth?

Comments

• airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,112 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1c + slabbing fees image
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • mnmcoinmnmcoin Posts: 2,165
    Depends on what they look like.

mo <><
    "Repent, for the kindom of heaven is at hand."
    ** I would take a shack on the Rock over a castle in the sand !! **
    Don't take life so seriously...nobody gets out alive.

ALL VALLEY COIN AND JEWELRY
    28480 B OLD TOWN FRONT ST
    TEMECULA, CA 92590
    (951) 757-0334

www.allvalleycoinandjewelry.com
  • ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,778 ✭✭✭✭
    OHHHH BABY!!!

I've got both of these in NGC slabs. And before everyone starts chucking tomatoes at me, they far better than any of the same date that I've seen in ANY slab.

I paid $201 for the '46 three years ago which seemed like crazy money at the time, but I knew it was nearly impossible to find.

Also, I paid $75 for the '47 on eBay shortly after finding the '46 and let me tell you, it's the single finest wheat cent in my entire collection (more than 100 MS67RD's from NGC and PCGS).

In a PCGS slab, I'd say the '46 should fetch $1000 and the '47 about $1500, maybe more.

At the 2001 June Long Beach Signature Sale, Heritage auctioned a '47 for $3,565.00, but I think that isn't realistic today.

Beware of boarderline MS67's.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • RELLARELLA Posts: 961 ✭✭✭
    If you know how to sell it and who to offer it to; then they should bring a bit more than what was stated above.

RELLA
    Do not fall into the error of the artisan
    who boasts of twenty years experience in his craft
    while in fact he has had only one year of experience...
    twenty times.
  • clackamasclackamas Posts: 5,615
    Shamika
    I would try to cross those coins. THe 46 is a higher POP coin at NGC (21 vs. PCGS (3) and the 47 is a POP 9 at NGC and a POP 5 at PCGS. IMO, PCGS is a little tougher on Lincoln than NGC, about .5 points (IMO). However if you could get those coins to cross I think Rella is more inline with what they would bring to the right buyer.

• RELLARELLA Posts: 961 ✭✭✭

<< <i>before everyone starts chucking tomatoes at me, they far better than any of the same date that I've seen in ANY slab. >>

I don't have a problem with that...I've been through a lot of these dates and many MS66RDs (and some MS67RDs) are junk (especially the 1946). 1949, 1953 and 1954 ditto. I did buy a 1947 from mnmcoin for an absurd premium image a while back that should do fine head-to-head with most any other of the date though. And as for 1946...I might have scared up a few nice ones on my own...would love to compare coins but don't have any of mine in hand right now...

RELLA
    Do not fall into the error of the artisan
    who boasts of twenty years experience in his craft
    while in fact he has had only one year of experience...
    twenty times.
  • CoppernicusCoppernicus Posts: 1,764
    clack - The 46 is much tougher than the 47. I base this not on the pop reports, but on the quality of the coins I have seen in each of the higher grades. The 49 is also a bear! As for price on a 67, over $1,000 for sure but how much over? Don't know!for sure
    Coppernicus

Lincoln Wheats (1909 - 1958) Basic Set - Always Interested in Upgrading!
  • Hope you can get those to cross Shamika!! Good Luck!!image
    clackamas has suggested that I try to cross these coins. But since I don't have plans on selling either one, I'm don't think I should bother paying crossover fees. It's just money that would be better spent on my addiction (coins).

However, if/when the time comes that I decide to sale, I'll definitely cross these as well as a few other PQ coins (and pray).

As far as differences between NGC and PCGS, I'd say NGC puts more emphasis on strike whereas PCGS puts more infasis on surface preservation. This is the reason why I describe these two NGC coins as being so exceptional: they have both superior strike and superclean surfaces.

As far as price, Rella may be right, but the important thing would be to put these coins in a well publicized auction. Big spenders for this kind of post WWII material are not so common. Most any Lincoln collector would probably bid $400-$700, but you'd have to have several hell-bent bidders to push the price up into 4 digits.

Coppernicus is right. 1949 is also a pain to find. In truth, any post 1945 MS67RD Lincoln from Philly is tough.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file