Home U.S. Coin Forum

Why do dealers eat pot stickers near slabs?

LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,711 ✭✭✭✭✭

Comments

• flaminioflaminio Posts: 5,664 ✭✭✭
    I don't know about pot stickers, but it disgusts me whenever I'm at a show and see dealers eating at their tables. I was at a small show, and one dealer had a big cheeseburger, with grease dripping right onto his display box. Yecch!
  • jomjom Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭✭✭
    mmmmmmmmm....cheese burger....argharghargh....

jom
  • TheNumishTheNumish Posts: 1,628 ✭✭
    Dealers have to eat and if you're running a table alone there isn't much you can do about it. I do try to eat on the back up table.

If you shut the table down for a half hour to eat then there would be someone complaining about that.
  • PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ia sitting behind my table eating my lunch as fast as I can when a customer will ask Are you eating lunch? and then ask to see a coin in the case. Look at the coin and put it back never asking for a price or making any other comment, and then just walk away.

My new policy is going to be, I will politely ask if they can wait a minute or two, finish my lunch and then help them.

will that be fair?
    Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• BearBear Posts: 18,953 ✭✭✭
    I have a practical recommendation. All dealers be set up with an I.V.drip

so that they can keep their blood sugar up while they handle the customers.

Might as well catheratize them as well , so that pit stops will be unnecessary.

After all, its not like dealers are actually people with families and human needs.

I have found that the good dealers are careful where they eat . A sloppy eater

is generally a sloppy dealer.
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • baccarudabaccaruda Posts: 2,588 ✭✭
    My new policy is going to be, I will politely ask if they can wait a minute or two, finish my lunch and then help them.

If a dealer told me to stand there and wait while he finished his lunch, I would be gone before you could say "clogged arteries".
    1 Tassa-slap
    2 Cam-Slams!
    1 Russ POTD!
  • ScarsdaleCoinScarsdaleCoin Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lunch....could you other dealers tell me your secret how you can afford to eat lunch...LOL
    Jon
    Jon Lerner - Scarsdale Coin - www.CoinHelp.com
  • LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,363 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ever checked out the circumference of those guys....and you have to ask why?? How do you think they maintain that physique??image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko, Big Moose.
  • TheNumishTheNumish Posts: 1,628 ✭✭
    Hey Lakesamman,

I resemble that remark.image

By the way what in the heck is a pot sticker anyway?
  • baccarudabaccaruda Posts: 2,588 ✭✭
    it's some kind of Chinese food I think.
    1 Tassa-slap
    2 Cam-Slams!
    1 Russ POTD!
  • Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536
    Lakesammman, are you implying that there is something wrong with the shape I'm in? I will have you know that I am in PERFECT shape!

Spherical.
  • First off, I'd like to say I love potstickers and slabbed coins - although I'm not a dealer. The last show I was at I watched a dealer eat a Whopper right over his display case. Granted, the Whopper wrapper was under the burger, but it still made it hard to see the coins. Ironically, he had someone go out to get the burger for him. Presumably that person could have taken care of his table while he ate elsewhere.
    Just My 2 Cents,
    Big Mike <><

Let your roots grow down into him and draw up nourishment from him, so you will grow in faith, strong and vigorous in the truth you were taught. Let your lives overflow with thanksgiving for all that he has done. --Colossians 2:7
    Lets see , that burger had the three main food groups: Fat, Salt ,Calories.

Add that to stress, hypertension and overwait and we have CODE BLUE!!!
    Camelotimage
  • LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,363 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey Lanlord:

I used to check your posts just to see that beautiful lady.....any chance of restoring her??image She wouldn't ahve that look if one were eating pot-stickers, would she??
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko, Big Moose.
  • lclugzalclugza Posts: 568 ✭✭
    Hey. look, Joe! You got ketchup from your burger on that gem proof
    classic gold coin that you were gonna get slabbed!

No sweat, I'll just send it to a "conservator."
    image"Darkside" gold
  • nuckleheadnucklehead Posts: 1,500

<< <i>I have a practical recommendation. All dealers be set up with an I.V.drip

After all, its not like dealers are actually people with families and human needs.

is generally a sloppy dealer. >>

Friends are Gods way of apologizing for your relatives.
  • SunnywoodSunnywood Posts: 2,683
    This thread is pretty unbelievable !! Of course the dealers have to eat. And they can't really leave their tables. And you can't just ask other people to watch your table. Those coins are a dealer's assets & livelihood. And, in many cases they are on consignment from someone else, and the dealer is responsible for them. So the dealer can't really leave the table, and if he did, everyone stopping by would be annoyed. Perhaps they could try to sit at the back table & use a napkin, but I'm sure most of them do that anyway. As for girth, if you had the stress of travelling to shows with all of your valuables, and then confronting a surly public (not to mention other surly dealers), and you had to sit still behind your table all day long, perhaps you wouldn't maintain your girlish figure either !!!

I applaud the dealers who make an effort to go to shows. Granted, the bourse floor is where a lot of dealer-to-dealer business occurs, so it isn't all altruism deisgned to benefit the visiting collectors. However, those dealers make it possible for us (collectors) to go to shows and have a great time looking at a lot of coins in one place. If they need to eat a sloppy cheeseburger to get through the day, I don't blame them a bit. As far as the slabs, I always clean them off with a tissue dipped in isopropyl alcohol or acetone when I get home (acetone takes the adhesive from stickers off ... but be careful not to use more than a drop, and then wipe the slab dry !!)

And by the way, I LOVE pot stickers. (That is the translation of the Cantonese name for home-style fried pork dumplings.)

Sunnywood
  • MrMooMrMoo Posts: 199

<< <i>Lets see , that burger had the three main food groups: Fat, Salt ,Calories.

Add that to stress, hypertension and overwait and we have CODE BLUE!!! >>

I maintain that Calories are not actually a food group but a byproduct of Fat and Salt. imageimage

• nuckleheadnucklehead Posts: 1,500
    Edited,as this may be taken the wrong way.
    Friends are Gods way of apologizing for your relatives.
    Mr Moo, I know, I was just being my humerous self.
    Camelotimage
  • EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice post, Sunnywood.

As for the rest of this thread -- PLONK!!!

Imagine the ludicrousness of this message board when they complain about dealers. Let me see:

1. Dealers who make lots of money are greedy.
    2. Dealers who price items at more than you think they're worth are greedy.
    3. Dealers who don't have lots of small ticket items are elitist.
    4. Dealers who don't have operating hours convenient for everyone at everytime are inconsiderate.
    5. Dealers who are out of shape are disgusting.
    6. Dealers with high operating costs are extravagant.
    7. Dealers who get tired are lazy.
    8. Dealers who care more about making a living instead of revelling in pure numismatics are greedy.
    9. Dealers who can't easily identify every W-B (or BB or AH or whatever) variety are stupid.
    10. Dealers who don't eat the kind of food that you approve of are disgusting.
    11. Dealers who wear T-shirts are disgusting.
    12. Dealers who wear suits are too business-like.
    13. Dealers who are too busy to cater to your every whim are rude.
    14. Dealers who have to miss Sunday to fly home (cross-country) to open for Monday are unprofessional.
    15. Dealers who stayed at the show on Sunday, flew home cross-country, and are unprepared Monday are unprofessional.
    16. Dealers who make too much profit are greedy.
    17. Dealers who make too little profit are stupid.
    18. Collectors don't need dealers; they can do it themselves. (But, what would that then make them?)

Have I missed anything?

It's amazing the number of people who feel they can walk a mile in everyone else's shoes...

EVP

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• MrMooMrMoo Posts: 199

<< <i>Mr Moo, I know, I was just being my humerous self. >>

I know I was trying to be humorous back. image
  • flaminioflaminio Posts: 5,664 ✭✭✭

<< <i>It's amazing the number of people who feel they can walk a mile in everyone else's shoes... >>

I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a certain level of professionalism in my dealer contacts. Yes, dealers got to eat, too -- but please, do so with a modicum of decorum. A big greasy cheeseburger is not an appropriate food item, in my opinion.

Eat a good breakfast, take a light lunch to the bourse floor, and have a good dinner after the show. Some snack food throughout the day can keep hunger at bay.
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,509 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey, who cares if a slab gets a little greasy?

I read some commentary once about how ACG graders were always eating at the booths at major shows.

Lo and behold, at FUN 2002 I walked by their booth and there was the biggest taco salad I've ever seen, half eaten, and right next to a tray of unprotected early Lincolns in red MS. (Loose, not even in flips). LOL

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,623 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really like Bear's IV drip idea. I would connect all the coin dealers to it and have a central control in a secret room underneath the show floor. From there I would control the whole Coin Kingdom!!!!!!!

BWAHAHAHAHAHA!
  • Bear.....reminds me of a very funny recent TV commercial where the theme was "the show must go on" and a woman was on stage in a theatre and they showed a few scenes where something went wrong (once an armored suit was accidently knocked over).

.......the show must go on was right.......in the end of the commercial the woman was wearing a "Depends" undergarment to allow her to go on .......even if she had TO GO! imageimage

I LMAO on that one!!! Now i'm always going to wonder when i see a live show performance or interview if the people may be relieving themselves at the same time! image

Dealers eating at a show.......another necessity so i cut them some slack. I eat at work right at my jewelry bench.....can't be helped on a 7 day long hour schedule.

Sometimes dealers get no image

<< <i>I have a practical recommendation. All dealers be set up with an I.V.drip

is generally a sloppy dealer. >>

The Ex-"Crown Jewel" of my collection! 1915 PF68 (NGC) Barber Half "Eliasberg".

Once again resides with Legend, the original purchaser "raw" at live Eliasberg auction. Laura and i "love" the same lady!

• You have solved the AT coin mystery, it`s the big greasy cheeseburger drip! image
  • BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    Someone should invent Bears IV/cathereter idea with wheels and call it The Dealer Caddy-------------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • bozboz Posts: 1,405

<< <i>If a dealer told me to stand there and wait while he finished his lunch, I would be gone before you could say "clogged arteries". >>

If I were REALLY interested in a coin, and the dealer requested I wait a few minutes while he finished lunch, I would wait. No big deal to me, and could halt a case of buyers remorse.image
    The great use of life is to spend it on something that will outlast it--James Truslow Adams

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file