Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Purpose of keeping bidders identitys private.

BikingnutBikingnut Posts: 3,369 ✭✭✭
What is the purpose of hiding bidders identity's by keeping the auction private? Is it to hide shill bidding? I can't see any other reason on an item like this. Am I wrong?

Private auction
US Navy CWO3 retired. 12/81-09/04

Looking for PCGS AU58 Washington's, 32-63.

Comments

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You're wrong.

Reasons:

1. Prevent other sellers from pitching their wares to the bidders.

2. Prevent busybodies from warning bidders against bidding on raw coins.

3. Prevent other potential bidders from colluding with other potential bidders.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    2 words....

Shill Bidding

And I agree, there is no reason for it. The seller is somewhat clueless or coniving.
  • Options
    AskariAskari Posts: 3,713
    This seller's handle - midascoins - rings a bell ... wasn't there something negative about him that came up on this forum last year?
    Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image
  • Options
    BikingnutBikingnut Posts: 3,369 ✭✭✭

3. Prevent other potential bidders from colluding with other potential bidders.

All very good reasons that I hadn't thought about. Personally I've been buying and bidding for about 4 years, and I've never had email me for any reason while I had bids in on an auction.

I can see shill bidding going on with this particular item. The 35S is a semikey, this one advertised as a gem BU but particularly ugly, may require shill bidding to get a decent price. Just my opinion.
    US Navy CWO3 retired. 12/81-09/04

Looking for PCGS AU58 Washington's, 32-63.
  • Options
    Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    Yeah Askari. I posted that he is the only eBay seller that I ever returned a coin too for a refund. There wasn't anything really negative about it though. He gave me a prompt refund on his cleaned hairlined Morgan that I bought.
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • Options

<< <i>Reasons:

3. Prevent other potential bidders from colluding with other potential bidders. >>

4. Prevent anyone from alerting bidders to obvious fakes.
    Roy

• Options
    Goog points by MrEureka, but agree with other about shill bidding. 99% of the private auctions I have seen look to be an easy way to try and cover up shilling, of course it backfires in my view since most bidders wouldn't go near a private auction. Something that ebay should scrap in my view as most of the time its used in an abusive way.
    visit my homepage ->> CoinCollection.com
  • Options
    wingedlibertywingedliberty Posts: 4,805 ✭✭
    I agree with you, I see no viable reasons.

Brian.
  • Options
    The practice sucks but this guy has over 1500 auctions completed and ZERO negs. He must be doing something right

DAN
    United States Air Force Retired And Would Do It Again.

My first tassa slap 3/3/04

My shiny cents

imageThe half I am getting rid of and me, forever and always Taken in about 1959
  • Options
    Anaconda much prefers to list his coins keeing bidders identities private......for many of the reasons Andy stated. Nothing sinister here and another Adrian often mentioned is that some bidders prefer being ananomous.......un-named much like at an onsite auction. (except for you well known faces!)

.....about the only thing a person bidding on one of Anaconda's auctions might be worned from anyway is that they're never going to be satisfied with collecting just the average stuff anymore.......once they get a sense of the "Tasty" fare! image
    The Ex-"Crown Jewel" of my collection! 1915 PF68 (NGC) Barber Half "Eliasberg".

Once again resides with Legend, the original purchaser "raw" at live Eliasberg auction. Laura and i "love" the same lady!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file