Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

is it a dumb idea for a middle age man to try to intern for a coin dealer

say someone about 47 years old with a high school diploma and not much else besides a life thats been turned upside down this year, and one more thing, a passion for coins. I always thought of a coin intern as a kid or someone in college. but maybe.... ?

Just a thought, what do you think ?
The President claims he didn't lie about taxes for those earning less then $250,000 a year with public mandated health insurance yet his own justice department has said they will use the right of the government to tax when the states appeals go to court.

Comments

• Options
    rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭
    Do it!
    "You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you know coins and they need help, then there shouldn't be a problem as I see it... the only reason I didn't ask about a summer job with the dealers near me is that they have such small shops where mostly very valuable coins change hands, thus they probably wouldn't need me...
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    Go for it! You only live once, so why not enjoy it? If this is something you want to do, then by all means give it your all. image
    currently owned by 5 Labradors

Blaze - Yellow male b 3/17/93
    Onyx - Black male b 3/7/99
    Duchess - Yellow female mix b 3/12/02 rescued 9/18/02
    Rifle - Yellow male mix b 12/1/02 rescued 8/8/03
    Diamond - Black female b 5/3/05 adopted 8/3/05

First Cam-slam - 9/21/04

My eBay
  • Options
    barberloverbarberlover Posts: 2,229
    don't tell any minnesota dealers i said this, but i would do this for free just to be around them and learn as much as i could.

when i was young i used to follow my heart, but as i grew older i thought doing such things was foolish, maybe growing cynical with age was foolish of me.
    The President claims he didn't lie about taxes for those earning less then $250,000 a year with public mandated health insurance yet his own justice department has said they will use the right of the government to tax when the states appeals go to court.
  • Options
    TassaTassa Posts: 2,373 ✭✭
    Nope. It's not a dumb idea at all. image
  • Options
    stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You could always do this

Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • Options
    I'm 43, and I've had that idea a few times as well...
  • Options
    newsmannewsman Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭
    Go for it and don't look back!

I was 34 when I took an internship with a major newspaper to jump-start my career while in graduate school. Even though I was way older than most other interns, it was one of the smartest moves I ever made and led to several dream assignments, including the chance to cover the recent war in Iraq.

You've got nothing to lose from trying, especially if you're not working right now. Best of luck.

Chuck image
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    barberlover: Go for it! Hopefully it will be a dealer that appreciates Barber coinage as much as you do!

Make sure that your styles do not clash!

Heck, didn't George Plimpton have 1000 careers and wrote all about it???

You live only once and we expect a monthly status report from you!!
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    Go fo it. Enjoy it. Live it.

Life is not the destination of goals. It is all about the journey.
  • Options
    09sVDB09sVDB Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭
    I think its a great idea. I've often thought of doing it myself. Where do you live? Is there a big market around you? Best of luck, go for it!
  • Options
    MICHAELDIXONMICHAELDIXON Posts: 6,416 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I sent this originally in a PM, but thought it was worth everybody reading.
    I've had several Coin shops in my lifetime (I'm now 45) and I can tell you, I was grateful to have guys want to learn the coin business. It helped me out with an employee who actually wanted to be there and learn how to run his own shop in the future. The only request I had of the last guy was that he didn't open a shop within 10 miles of mine. I paid him a little more than minimum wage and taught him all I could. In the time I did coin shows and swap meets, I had several set up with me to learn the business. It's a win-win situation for you and the dealer. Remember: Don't do it for free. You're an asset to the dealer.
    Spring National Battlefield Coin Show is September 5-7, 2024 at the Eisenhower Hotel in Gettysburg, PA. WWW.AmericasCoinShows.com
  • Options
    I love the idea. Go for it - and good luck.

Singapore
  • Options
    MacCoinMacCoin Posts: 2,545 ✭✭
    it sure as heck beats doing something you hate. go for it.

I hate it when you see my post before I can edit the spelling.

Always looking for nice type coins

my local dealer
  • Options
    GaCoinGuyGaCoinGuy Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭✭
    I say go for it! I'd love to have the chance. Unfortunately, the only 2 local dealers I have dealt with don't have physical shops, and the 2 shops that are local, 1 deals mostly raw stuff, and the other, the guy that runs it knows less about coins than I do, I think.
    imageimage

• Options
    barberlover,

One of our fellow board members, Toningintheblood, completely switched careers and is now in the employ of a major West Coast rare coin firm -- and he isn't a spring chicken either (sorry Dale). I say go for it.

Mike
    DE FALCO NUMISMATIC CONSULTING
    Visit Our Website @ www.numisvision.com
    Specializing in DMPL Dollars, MONSTER toners and other Premium Quality U.S. Coins

*** Visit Mike De Falco's NEW Coin Talk Blog! ***
  • Options
    Go for it! Why not do what you love to do?

Dan
  • Options
    If you're going to spend 8 or 9 hours a day working for a living, you might as well spend them doing something you enjoy. Tonelover, in his 30s, switched careers and became a professional coin dealer and is doing well. No reason why you can't too.

And thank you Michael Dixon for your words of genuine wisdom. Gosh is that on target.

Good luck,

Just having fun!
    Jefferson nickels, Standing Libs, and US-Philippines rock
  • Options
    RKKayRKKay Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Forget it! Don't limit yourself. Try a PAWNSHOP instead. More business. STRONG need for older people who can put people at ease. Also the young (the ones REALLY getting screwed by American labor policies) are more comfortable with a father figure helping them out of jams.

And pawnshops NATIONWIDE are desperate for employees who won't STEAL!!!

Learn diamonds. It's EASY. Jewelers have made it a mystique, but I can teach a person to be a diamond expert in 2 hours MAX! (don't tell your jeweler)

Even though pawnshops are having a hard time coping with the massive deflation now in progress in electronics and tools, if there is any hiring to be done it will be with a pawnshop rather than a coin shop.

And if you know coins, it will give them a new area for loans. I made coin loans and they are PROFITABLE.

My two bits.
  • Options

<< <i>I can teach a person to be a diamond expert in 2 hours MAX! >>

You must have some slooooowww learners.image
  • Options
    MadMonkMadMonk Posts: 3,743
    If it is one of your dreams. I am a firm believer that people should live out thier dreams.
    Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.
  • Options
    The Company I am working has had much of there business moved overseas.
    I think i am going to apply to a local coin shop for a job once I lose mine.
    Not much is better then doing a Job you love.
    Sets Complete:
    Eisenhower Dollar, BU

Set Incomplete:
    Roosevelt Dime
    1900 - Current Type, No Gold
    Silver Eagle
  • Options
    I don't think it's a dumb idea for a seasoned veteran of life to have a career change and intern at a rare coin dealership...

Of course, you should know that it's not easy to become a successful dealer. Nearly everything you knew, or thought you knew, as a collector need to be unlearned or re-learned. The life of a rare coin dealer is unbelievably different than being a collector.

To choose being a coin dealer simply because you think you're good with coins, you love coins and that it'll be easy to be a dealer is a certain recipe to learn the ropes the hard way. The biz behind the hobby we so loved as a collector is a tough one. Ask any seasoned and successful veteran rare coin dealer! There is not one who will tell you any differently!

Steve
    Steven C. Liu -

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file