Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Coin World Trends and others - High, low or waste??????????

How does everyone feel about using "CW Trends", "Red Book" or "Coin Digest" as a guide to buying modern coins? When I compare these prices with the selling price it seems that the selling prices are double sometimes triple what is listed in the reference books. I do realize that certain coins carry a premium, and am by know means trying to pay "book value". Should I be looking somewhere else for my reference prices?

Thanks in advance

Bigern image

Comments

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I checked a few against greysheet two weeks ago and they were basically identical... maybe a buck off.
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    ttt
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,333 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There really are no really good price guides for moderns. CW Trends has improved
    greatly and is actually usable for the main part, but it still can't keep up with these
    markets that change so quickly. While a price for a widely traded key date coin may
    easily nailed down, some of the moderns are very thinly traded. Often both parties
    are almost left to guess at what a fair price is.

I always get a kick out of Redbook. Most of the older coins that list for 50 cents or a
    dollar will wholesale for a nickel, and the moderns that list for these prices will whole-
    sale for a couple dollars and sell for who knows what.

Greysheet, of course, is by definition the bible for moderns. Unfortunately they just
    don't list many moderns and nothing above typical proof or unc. (It probably should be
    pointed out that greysheet BU roll prices are for nice attractive coins in original condition,
    this is hardly typical for many moderns.)

Trends does seem to be breaking away from the rest in reporting these markets.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    MacCoinMacCoin Posts: 2,545 ✭✭
    I use whatever is handy at the time. I have a month price rag and coin Digest in the car most of the time. My dealer lets me use a new gray sheet and my other dealer has the new gray sheet in plastic on the counter of his shop. I also have a monthly price trend rag and the red book in front of the computer for online auctions. what I'm buying is just about the same in one as any of the others

I hate it when you see my post before I can edit the spelling.

Always looking for nice type coins

my local dealer
  • Options
    BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    I always check multiple sources including auction archives (which I think has the most value). I have seen many mistakes in price guides, ie. Trends listing a Cam Franklin higher than a DCam oneimage------------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file