Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What's up with Abe?!

TassaTassa Posts: 2,373 ✭✭
What kind of error is this?

Comments

• Options
    Is this the "floating head" variety? Or the "Mike Tyson bit off ear" variety?
  • Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    Without seeing it in person, I'll say late die state.
  • Options
    Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    Man that's neat! It was most likely struck through a small blob grease that oozed out of the machinery.
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • Options
    fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yup, looks like a struck thru error plus the fields seem to have die clash marks on them.

Paul
  • Options
    relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570

It's the presidental zit variety
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • Options

<< <i>Yup, looks like a struck thru error plus the fields seem to have die clash marks on them.

Paul >>

I was so distracted by the nose and neck (or lack of one), I didn't even notice the die clash marks until you mentioned it. You're right. They're there. I also noticed that the reverse is slightly rotated as well.
  • Options
    Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536
    Overpolished die, same thing as what caused the three legged buffalo. Note that it only affects the low relief areas of the coin. these are all of the highest areas on the die. As the field was ground down to remove the clash marks it eventually removed Lincolns neck, increased the distance between the base of the bust and the rim, reduced the width of the base of the bust, cut the front of his coat away from the rest of the bust, "broke" the nose away there in front of the eyes and has made in god we trust spindly. A grease strike through that extensive would have sellted in the deep recesses of the die and all of the detail in the highest relief areas of the coin would be gone. while the lower relief areas may have still been visible.
  • Options
    TootawlTootawl Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭
    Looks like he has the outline of North Carolina on his face.
    PCGS Currency: HOF 2013, Best Low Ball Set 2009-2014, 2016, 2018. Appreciation Award 2015, Best Showcase 2018, Numerous others.
  • Options
    Conder101 I'll buy that if the area on the head is raised. It looks incused to me that's why I said possible strike through.
  • Options
    Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    It was struck on doctored dies. image
  • Options
    Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536
    Dog,

What area on the head are you talking about? The area behind the eye that wraps around the cheekbone through the temple area and down into the cheek? If so, take a look at a 71, 72, or 73 cent and you will find that that area is in very low relief (Just slightly higher than the field) while the ear and the cheekbone are about the highest relief areas on the head. That area is in lower relief than the neck so if the coin is polished enough to remove the neck (as this one almost is) that area is at the same height as the field of the coin and the whole area becomes flat with just that little lump that is from the piece of cartilage in front of the ear canal inside the curve of the ear. With what is left of the design rising up around it, it have an incuse look in a scan.
  • Options
    Is it common for one coin to have multiple errors?
  • Options
    Conder101

Thanks for pointing that out to us. I see now that the area behind the eye that wraps around the cheekbone through the temple area etc. is almost quite normal looking for that year, minus the the few details that make up the cartilage of the ear canal inside the curve of the ear.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file