Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

GSA Morgan sales info 1878-CC through 1893-CC

Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
Here, by date, is a list of the total number of GSA Black Box CC Morgans which were available for sale back in the 70s (numbers include both circ and unc):

Year Total
1878-CC 60,993
1879-CC 4,123
1880-CC 131,529
1881-CC 147,485
1882-CC 605,029
1883-CC 755,518
1884-CC 962,638
1885-CC 148,285
1889-CC 1
1890-CC 3,949
1891-CC 5,687
1892-CC 1
1893-CC 1
"It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson

Comments

• Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,601 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does anyone know if the 89-cc, 92-cc and 93-cc still reside in thier original Gov holders?

• Options
    morganbarbermorganbarber Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭
    I love this kind of thread. TTT
    I collect circulated U.S. silver
  • Options
    jdimmick,

It's not completely clear from my reference, but it appears that the 89-CC, 92-CC, and 93-CC were never sold. It also indicates that a total of 298,975 were never sold, but doesn't indicate what happened to them.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    ArtRArtR Posts: 474 ✭✭✭
    The 89CC was sold in the mixed lot category in the last GSA Sale. I don't really know on the 92CC and the 93CC, but more than likely they were also sold in the final sale.
    If It doesn't have great eye appeal, I don't want it.
  • Options
    ArtR, do you know where the coin is today?
  • Options

<< <i>ArtR, do you know where the coin is today? >>

Steve, I have no idea!
  • Options
    tjkilliantjkillian Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭
    I also remember seeing that someone received a Seated Dollar in a soft plastic GSA holder, an early 1860's piece.
    Tom

• Options

<< <i>I also remember seeing that someone received a Seated Dollar in a soft plastic GSA holder, an early 1860's piece. >>

True!!!!! That particular coin is now owned by GSAGuy.
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe that the 89-CC was offered for sale about two years ago.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    ttt
  • Options
    K6AZK6AZ Posts: 9,295
    One thing that must be pointed out here, and that is by the time the treasury stopped releasing silver dollars to the public, a lot of the dates had already been released, going back to the late 40s. Because there were few examples of some dates in the GSA sale does not mean that there were never any in the hoard. A good example is the 92-CC, several bags were released prior to the treasury stopping the redemption of silver certificates.

On the flip side, the 89-CC and 93-CC were either fully released into circulation, or whatever the treasury had were melted in the great melts of 1918-1921 and 1944.
  • Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    Very interesting information. I had no idea that there were so many of some of the dates. Thanks so much!!
    Becky
  • Options
    "There is one 1889-CC known and I saw an 1893-CC trade hands in October of 2002. I have heard of 1892-CC's in GSAs, but have never known of one to trade." from http://www.brokencc.com/GSAforsale.htm
    certifiedsilverdollar.com
    A site dedicated to the sale of rare and high MS grade Morgan and Peace Silver Dollars. All coins are graded by ICG, PCGS, NGC, or Anacs, and are priced well below PCGS values.
  • Options
    StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Steve27: Very interesting thread for us Carson City Morgan Lovers image

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • Options
    BigAlBigAl Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭

TTT
    A lot of knowledge buried on this forum. I was searching for something else and this thread came up. I think I remember reading it 20 yrs ago or so. Fun going down the proverbial rabbit hole, even if you don’t find what you were looking for

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file