Home PSA Set Registry Forum

PSA Ticket Grading

PSA Ticket Grading

Reminds me of when GAI announced they would be grading unopened vintage packs. On the page it says "put together complete runs of All-Star games, Super Bowls, etc...". That would be a pretty impressive collection.

They say they will be grading full tickets and stubs, then they'll open a section of the set registry for the ticket collectors. Very interesting. How do you grade a ticket? All the ones I have (at least the older ones) are torn at the perforation. Remember the "Tiger Woods SI" arguments?

Justin
Currently collecting the Nolan Ryan Basic and Topps Player sets.

NAXCOM

Comments

• qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    I'm sure they will review and list the criteria of the specific grades. I have a bunch of World Series tickets in varying degrees of condition, some that were ripped past the perforations, others that were glued in scrap books and others beat up from the usual handling of a ticket were the ticket holder crammed it in their pocket. So it will be interesting to see the grading structure. And perhaps it won't be as many grades as the cards from 1 to 10. Maybe there will be classifications for full tickets and another for "used" tickets with maybe a few general grades like just Mint, EX & Good...jay
  • mcastaldimcastaldi Posts: 1,130 ✭✭
    I'll have to send them one of my recent tickets. Given to me by Patrollman Johnson on Rand Road.

Oh wait. . .do they mean something else? image

Mike
    So full of action, my name should be a verb.
  • CWCW Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭
    I think this will be another great service offered by PSA. I bought
    a ticket stub on eBay from the 1927 Michigan vs. Ohio State game,
    which happened to be the dedication game for Michigan Stadium, and
    I would love to see it ensapsulated in a PSA holder. Some people
    really take their ticket collecting seriously, and I came across this
    site while doing research on that '27 ticket. The ticket from 1898 is
    especially cool:

ticketmuseum.com

Chuck
  • To me this is a no-brainer. There is an active base of collectors and a vast supply of unslabbed material.... It shows that someone at PSA has their thinking cap on.... Now how about grading Wax pack Wrappers..... The recent Lelands auction shows there is some interest in this category...Jeff
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass... it's about learning to dance in the rain.
  • WabittwaxWabittwax Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭
    I have a bunch of New York Yankees phantom tickets that are mint conditon. I think they're from the late 60's or 70's. Do you think they'll grade those?
  • gaspipe26gaspipe26 Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭
    I have a ticket from Cal Ripkens record breaking game in Baltimore. Its been in a frame since the day after. They stamped the ticket with a raised seal and didnt tear it. I just dont see a huge market for this.
  • mcastaldimcastaldi Posts: 1,130 ✭✭
    Jeff> The question isn't whether there's an active base of (ticket) collectors and an adequate supply of material. . .the real question is whether that active base of collectors will pay money to have that material graded/slabbed. I guess I'm not convinced of this.

Mike
    So full of action, my name should be a verb.
  • I have a large collection of many 3000 hit, 500 hr, 20 K games, no hitters, perfect games and would love to add them to a registry to compare my collection to others BUT to pay to get them graded is another subject I just dont see the demand or desire for the service.
  • qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    I have World Series and other specialty tickets and I plan to use the service. If cards can be reproduced and remade so can tickets, so this added piece of mind and a durable holder will have a niche in the market. This is just a side-offering from PSA and they will grade & authenticate the tickets as they need to, there will be no need to build a new building or hire hundreds of graders, so the cost to set up is minimal. GAI has done very well with their pack encapsulations, and I see no problem with any company trying to help the market place by offering a service that ensures the items that are slabbed are authentic. It wasn't so long ago that the thought of having cards graded and slabbed were thought ridiculous and would just be a passing fad. I would also like to see other items graded and authenticated like Press Pins, regular commemorative pins, baseball & football coins from Salada, Topps, Armour, Old London etc... Cards cut from boxes like Jello, Post & Hostess, and other cards that were cut like Red Man's w/o tabs etc... I'm under the contention that the more items that can be graded and perseved the better, and granted not all services are right for everyone. Just my 2 cents...jay

• << <i>I just dont see a huge market for this >>

<< <i>the real question is whether that active base of collectors will pay money to have that material graded/slabbed. I guess I'm not convinced of this. >>

<< <i>BUT to pay to get them graded is another subject I just dont see the demand or desire for the service >>

I am sure these were the same kind of concerns that people had when card grading first started.
    I personally think it is a great idea and will certainly catch on, just as card grading did.

just my 2 cents.

Matt
    UK based collector.
  • I personally don't collect tickets, but think that this a needed service.
  • JAy,

You hit the nail right on the head... While I do not think the market for tickets will be as big as Sports cards I think it exists... I too would like to see PSA grade some of the old coin and press pin issues.... Jeff
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass... it's about learning to dance in the rain.