Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Is it possible to monitor Heritage auctions live??

LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭✭
If so, how?? I know there is internet bidding when I've been there in person. I can't figure out how to do it from the web site. How's it done??
"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.

Comments

• Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think only through ebaylive now. They did do a streaming video of the auction a while back though.
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options

Lakes, you have to do it through ebay. I have found the best way to access an ebay-live auction is to save one of the auction coins [from the ebay not the Heritage listing] to my ebay watch list. Then just before or during the auction you click on that coin and a "view live" button is available. Its easy after that. Bids move very fast.
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tim,

You have to sign up thru E-bay, but you may want to choose another method of actual bidding. Heritage ups the buyers premium to 20% when bidding thru this avenue. Also, For coins at 5,000.00 and above, you can live phone your bid to the auction floor.
  • Options
    Catch22Catch22 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭
    Fast? That's an understatement! The lots move through at about 1 every 10 seconds.

When we are planning for posterity, we ought to remember that virtue is not hereditary.

Thomas Paine
  • Options
    SunnywoodSunnywood Posts: 2,683
    I thought Heritage no longer offered any Ebay Live component to their auctions.
  • Options
    I didn't see any of the Heritage lots on ebay this time around....is there another way??
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    The Auctin on ebay today was a Heritage auction. They probably just limited the use of ebay to the larger shows.

When we are planning for posterity, we ought to remember that virtue is not hereditary.

Thomas Paine
  • Options
    shylockshylock Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭
    Lakesammman -- They're on this page (scroll down to find the last Heritage session). When the auction begins a "view live" button appears next to the "sign up" button.
  • Options
    Interesting - if they're live on ebay, why don't they show on the ebay searches?? Strange - thanks for the tip - will be watching later this AM.

• Options

Tim, Once the live auction starts the ebay listings disappear for that auction just like the listing for a regular ebay auction disappears when the auction ends. If you save one auction item in your ebay watch list you can access the auction through that coin even after the auction starts.

Probably the easiest way is to save the page that Shylock linked in favorites.
  • Options
    NumisEdNumisEd Posts: 1,336
    The Long Beach Heritage auction the other day was not live on the internet. You had to place a bid on their web site, then wait until the next day to see if you won. They do, however, have live ebay auctions on some of their other auctions, such as the world coins. I don't know why they did not offer ebay live on the US coins a few days ago.
  • Options
    You mean I watched about 200 lots go through the Heritage Ebay Live Auction yesterday and it had already ended? Barbers and SLQ's?

Thomas Paine
  • Options
    Catch22, I mean the REAL US coin auction was not on ebay live. I did see that they offered some modern US coins (Barbers and SLQ's) right along with other "darkside fodder" such as foreign and tokens, but no US coins of importance were on ebay live.
  • Options
    Watched the auction this AM - thanks again Shylock. Was stunned at what some of the civil war tokens went for - upwards of 6k for one. Guess this series caught on some time ago! Most went begging - the common ones bunched in lots of 5-10.

I hit the "Bid now" button and it took me to the registration siteimage Thought I had already registered for the auction, so missed out on a really cool off metal CWTimage If anyone plans to bid, be sure you hit that button then do the REAL registration. The way you'll know your properly registered is that the "bid now" price will be constantly updated and the window is a bit different looking.

As noted by others, this is the most expensive way to bid. But, if your like me and waited until the last minute, it's better than NO option.
  • Options
    I watched numerous 67's and a few 68's go through with one coin going for 47,000 dollars. You may be right though as I grew tired of trying to keep up with lots speeding by at about the rate of 1 every 10 seconds.

I still use dial up and rarely did the image finish downloading before the hammer dropped.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting that you are mistaken, I'm just saying that the impression I got from the level of coins being offered was that it was some serious coins going for serious money...with multiple lots of the same date and mint being offered in grades from 64 to 68. This just seems like way too many high grade coins to be anything but the actual Heritage Long Beach Auction. In fact, Heritage will Auction off the lots over several days beginning with the Colonials. I figured since the Colonials, Cents, 3CN, Half Dimes, Nickels, Dimes etc. had been auctioned the previous day, this was about right in terms of where they would be.

The title of the auction on the ebay live site was Heritage Long Beach Live Auction.

In any event, I don't see how anyone using the net to bid live would have much of a chance, I only saw 4 or 5 internet winners out of about 200. It moves just too darn fast.

Thomas Paine
  • Options

Hey Ed,

You mean Thursday night when I watched Heritage Session 1 [early copper, large cents, FEs, IHCs] and Friday night when I watched Session 3 [patterns, early gold, commemoratives, etc] on ebay-live that they really weren't there? Was I dreaming? image
  • Options
    toothpuller, you are correct. Some of the Heritage auctions were ebay live, some where not.
  • Options
    shylockshylock Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭
    Tim - sorry I forgot to mention that registration thing.

As far as the sessions being live, I know the Indian cent lots were (the first night). I bought one coin after someone on the floor matched my max Heritage site bid, so would have won the coin. Forced me to go $50 higher, no big deal but now I also have to pay the extra 5% on the entire bid to Ebay. The internet bidder gets screwed coming and going, the price we pay for convenience.
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The thursday night sig auction of coppers was live on E-bay, just the times were listed in Pacific standard. I watched them from about 10:30 pm thru 2:30 or so.
  • Options
    Catch22 - would never bid based on the picture - I previewed the coins in LB - had to be home Friday for my wifes Birthday so missed the live bidding. Cable modem helps, if all is working correctly.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file