Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Interesting Morgan Silver Dollar Find

I was going through my Morgan Silver Dollars. I was assigning VAM numbers and ran across the following while looking at my 1887 Morgan
image.

I bought this coin through eBay a couple of years ago. Until now, I never really had time to find out its VAM number. Well, it looks like VAM 2 to me. Here is the whole obverse.image.

I bought the coin as MS-65 and I think it is at least that grade. What do you think?

Numonebuyer

Comments

• Options
    FC57CoinsFC57Coins Posts: 9,140
    Wow - if that's what I think it is - it's a 7/6 and you just scored a big time chaching!!! - CONGRATULATIONS!!!! image
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    Okay, the only thing I recognized so far was "cha-ching". Details for us ignoramuses?

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    littlewicherlittlewicher Posts: 1,822 ✭✭
    I think it is a VAM 2. It looks like it has the line on the bottom of the 7, so I think it has a chance of being it. I don't think it's VAM 1A, 5, or 12.

For some life lasts a short while, but the memories it holds last forever.
    -Laura Swenson

In memory of BL, SM, and KG. 16 and forever young, rest in peace.
  • Options
    FC57CoinsFC57Coins Posts: 9,140
    Im not sure what vam it is Russ - but if it's an 1887/6 its quite the rarity!
  • Options
    numonebuyernumonebuyer Posts: 2,136
    It is a VAM 2. I own a PCGS MS-60 and an MS-63 1887/6 to compare with as well. My pulse is racing.

I bought this as an 1887 MS-65. I have independently graded it the same (before I put it under the scope and saw the 7/6), so no bias involved.

Numonebuyer
  • Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    numonebuyer,

I'm not much on VAMs, but I do appreciate amazing picture taking ability....and that's one hell of a nice, detailed, extra close up pic! Kudos.

• Options
    Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    Looks like a 2 to me too.
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    Hey, that's a great find. A VAM 2! I love to hear about a great cherrypick.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    The coin in the preceding posts cost me $27 a couple years ago.

Here is the picture of my PCGS MS-63 1887/6 Morgan.

The one I just found is certainly higher than a MS-63.

Pulse is still racing. Things like this just do not happen to me.

Thanks for all the great posts.

Numonebuyer
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,897 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Without a doubt it is the 1887 7/6... great find. I will say that this is a heavily promoted variety and is not as rare as certain other VAMS including the 1880 second 8/7 VAMS 6 through 8. Its just that out of these separate and distinct VAMS, there are very few known (and VAM 7 may be unknown in MS) that grade MS60+...Look at the pop reports for both the 1887 7/6 and the 1887-o 7/6. There are enough of these floating around to be promoted which makes the value associated with the coin what it is...

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    I sent it off to PCGS on Saturday. I sent it in on a 7 day express. I hope I get it back in two weeks.

I will keep you all updated on its grade.

Numonebuyer
  • Options
    7 over 6 yes...............ms65 not today..
    Still good find,
    Rusty
  • Options
    K6AZK6AZ Posts: 9,295
    Without question a VAM 2 7/6. The only question is the grade, but as long as it grades as MS without problems, that is a big score. I just got a bunch of raw 87s in yesterday, I wasn't so lucky. I did find a nice VAM 3 though.
  • Options
    hughesm1hughesm1 Posts: 778 ✭✭
    Nice find numonebuyer. Definite cha-ching. Though from your obverse scan, the chatter in the fields and portrait make it look like a 63, IMO.
    Mark
  • Options
    RampageRampage Posts: 9,427 ✭✭✭✭
    The big question of the day is what are the "values" for this type of coin in MS63, MS65, etc.?

I am not much in to VAMs wither, but it does look like a nice coin.

Rampage.
  • Options
    K6AZK6AZ Posts: 9,295
    Rampage, this VAM is listed in the greysheet. The greysheet values are:

MS60 - 205/225
    MS63 - 490/535
    MS64 - 800/875
    MS65 - 3350/3650
  • Options
    GilbertGilbert Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭
    A bit late, but, many times, the desirable VAMs (Top100) which the 1887 V2 is, garner the best money in VAM auctions. I can't locate my latest Top100 price list, but the one I can find is only a quarter old, and the prices surprising are in line with the greysheet on this one.

You just missed the Spring Rarities auction (for consignements) but upon completion, the "guide" may change.

In any event, I don't think this one (based on the image) will 65 the way grades are going today. It is still a nice specimen that I have no doubt you will get your money and more out of.
    Gilbert
  • Options
    As long as I get MS-63 or higher I will be thrilled. If I get that, it will pay for the new microscope I used to find it (because it will be prettier than my existing MS-63 1887/6, so I will sell the existing MS-63 and my MS-60 1887/6). If it comes back MS-64 or higher then that is gravy.

If it comes back lower than MS-63 then I will be disappointed. But in any regard, I should be able to get more than I paid ($27).

Thanks for all of the great replies.

Numonebuyer

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file