Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Uncut Sheets

I read a lot of posts referring to the issue of cutting from uncut sheets, especially with OPC. Since all cards started as sheets at one time, and were later cut, I do not see the issue. It is similar to arguing that someone who saved his perfect 1952 Topps card after opening a pack does not have the real thing because he did not flip the card 1000 times like everyone else.

A card cut from a sheet that has been kept in pristine condition is certainly a gradeable card in my book.
Always buying high grade Mike Schmidt and Steve Carlton cards!!!

Comments

• Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    David:

I respectfully disagree with you. The cutting technologies that are available today are certainly different than the cutting techniques used contemporaneously when those sheets were cut. O-Pee-Chee is a perfect example of this phenomenon. If anyone opens an O-Pee-Chee pack of cards from 1973 - 1981, they will notice that the vast majority of the cards they receive have significant rough cuts. This is because of the technology OPC used to cut their sheets. Crazysc can explain it best -- but my understanding is that OPC basically was utilizing pins with strings on them to separate the cards from sheets during the time period I have referenced. They DID NOT use blades and they DID NOT use lasers.

In today's world, one could presumably use very sharp blades and razors to take uncut sheets and cut cards that have very sharp edges, corners and centering. In fact, this is the one reason that all sheet-cut BGS/BVG graded cards have very high subgrades for corners, centering and edges but relatively weak grades for surface.

As a simile of another example that I think helps reiterate why I disagree with you -- consider the following: Let's say that you have an "oversized" baseball card that was simply cut large during the production process. This certainly happens frequently, more with some issues than others. If this oversized card was later cut (let's say yesterday), and still is the "proper" size, it seems to me as if you are saying that is okay. I do not believe it is -- nor do PSA, SGC or GAI.

I do not think sheet cut cards are valueless -- I think they simply must be identified for what they are and be regarded as such. I think it is improper and potentially dangerous (look at BVG) to similarly compare cards that were produced and cut 20, 30, 40 or 50 years ago with cards that were semi-produced back then and cut today. An uncut sheet is exactly that -- uncut. Cutting it up and trying to pass it off as something that it is not is rather improper in this hobby in my mind. This is why when I purchase O-Pee-Chee cards from the 1970s, I look for the rough cut, extra material along the edges. They were originally produced that way, and if someone "produces" something that is superior today (ooooh, sharp edges), in my mind that is just an alteration that I have no interest in pursuing.

MS
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    mcastaldimcastaldi Posts: 1,130 ✭✭
    I think it ultimately comes down to your own definition of "authentic".

Do you define "authentic" in such a way that the card must be printed and cut by the manufacturer at the time/year of issue?

or

Do you define "authentic" in such a way that the card must be printed by the manufacturer, and are less concerned by the deails of how that card was cut (i.e. when, how, and by whom)?

I'm not sure there's a right or wrong answer to this. I also think by necessity the grading companies have been somewhat vague and ambiguous on this.

Mike
    So full of action, my name should be a verb.
  • Options
    robstarrobstar Posts: 262

<< <i>I think it ultimately comes down to your own definition of "authentic".

Do you define "authentic" in such a way that the card must be printed and cut by the manufacturer at the time/year of issue.

Mike >>

In my mind that is the only definition of authentic. Any card that varies from this simple definition is a pretender in my eyes.

Rob...
    Collecting PSA Vintage Hockey
  • Options
    goodriddance189goodriddance189 Posts: 2,388 ✭✭
    well put mikeschmidt