Home PSA Set Registry Forum

1954 Topps Baseball leaders poised for battle.

It's been awhile since I've seen this many 1954 Topps in PSA 8 or higher listed on ebay.
These auctions should generate quite a bit of interest and give a birdseye view into the
strength/weakness of the 1954 arena and double as an indicator into the
health of the vintage graded commons market.
It's going to be interesting watching these auctions and see who gets what.
A lot of sets are poised for updating here.
There is an astounding 13 PSA 9's up for grabs.
#1 Marshal Fogel could potentially upgade his set by 8 cards and #2 Ron Strahl could potentially upgrade
his by 7 cards.
These 2 guys could be bidding head to head on 6 of the cards.
Any guesses as to what the final hammer price might be on the 9's?
The #98 Joe Black PSA 9 is already at $1,125 with 3 days 18 hrs left to go.
And does anbody know what the record price paid for a 1954 topps common is and what card it was for?

Thanks,
Gary

1954 Topps Ebay Auctions

Comments

• mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Gary:

I don't know your answer for the record price paid for a 1954 Topps common card. In reality -- there may be no one that knows the answer. Most 1950s sets are dominated by a group of hard-core collectors that have ample funds to support their hobby. They almost all have extensive contacts throughout the hobby and the record price paid was in all likelihood a private transaction between a dealer and one of those people.

Unfortunately, I do not have an old copy of the Population Report handy to see what the major changes have been in population for some of the commons.

If I had to speculate, I would imagine that Gene Woodling #101 and/or Ben Wade #126 have both sold for approximately $3,000 in PSA 8 unqualified condition. That is only speculation on my part -- but based upon similar prices realized for "tough" low population commons in other popular sets of the 1950s.

MS

P.S. Thanks for the post -- with some of these prices realized, it may be time for me to look at divesting a few Phillies cards I have from 1954. Approximately three to four years ago, it was not uncommon to find PSA 9's under $200.00, including 1/1s.
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.