Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

When submitting coins to PCGS, can they be in any holder (cardboard flips?)

Need some help Please !!

Does PCGS care what type of holder your coins are in when you submit?

Thank you

Mike

Comments

• RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    Cardboard is not acceptable. They should be in 2.5 x 2.5 mylar (not vinyl) flips. Preferably ET Kointainer SAFLIPS, although that brand isn't a PCGS requirement.

Russ, NCNE
  • Russ,

Thank you !!!

Getting some coins together, and have a long drive.image

Mike
  • how do you tell mylar from vinyl?

• I think if you can smell the plastic you should think about using different flips. Like Russ said, the "inert" 2.5 x 2.5 E&T Kointainer flips are the best for copper, silver coins. PCGS carries both types but you can find them around without much trouble.

FYI....

I received a yellow notice back from PCGS in my last couple of submissions stating that the poly bags should NOT be used! The bags cause the coins to "cloud up." Especially on proofs.

But it does say that the vinyl flips are okay for older gold coins.

Larry
    Dabigkahunaimage
  • I'll put a circulated quarter wrapped in 300 grit sandpaper and stapled shut in the next batch with an "attn: D. Hall" note on it image

I picked up a few dozen flips at the local shop and was told they were for submissions and have no PVC in them. They have a bluish tint to the material and the owner stated he uses them for his submissions to PCGS. Being the non-trusting, I didn't want to find out the hard way they have bad mojo in them.

• RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    EE,

The mylar flips will be rather stiff, while the vinyl ones will be very flexible.

Russ, NCNE
  • thanks, Russ image