Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

update..WONDERCOIN SLABBS A 54 S/D MS66 (opinion) jefferson collectors :)

i had extensive talks with seller first

any opinions welcome

WOWSEIR..READ HIS UPDATE PAGE 2

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill

Comments

• Options
    I don't know anything about that coin. I just looked it up in the Cherrypickers Guide and there is a Over Mint Mark as well as a RePunched Mintmark for 1954-S. The OMM is rated more interesting and valuable by them.

I'm not sure what the difference is between an OMM and a RPM. Can anybody help me here?
  • Options
    shylockshylock Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭
    Carl -- link

Bill -- Let us know how it looks when it arrives. You obviously have a good feeling about the seller, and though I know nothing about these I look forward to hearing about it.
  • Options
    pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭
    rpm is repunched carl...it would be a d/d if so...they punch it, but they deem its not in right place...an over mintmark is 2 diff mints..in this case they thought it would be a denver die, but it ended up at san francisco so they repunched it.

hope thats right image

Paul deffinately i will followup...I had extensive almost exaushtive emails with the seller...he knows his stuff and a real nice guy...its going thru pcgs on an express deal....hes offerd compensation...thats all i needed too hear, but he went farther.

im hoping for the sky, but ill accept solid ground image

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options
    The 1954 S over D is certainly one of the top Jefferson OMM. The latest PCGS pop report that I have shows 23 in MS65 and none higher.

If it grades MS65 it probably worth less than 1/2 of what was paid. If it grades MS66 or higher it was a steal!!! In the Goldberg recent auction a MS66 in an ANACS slab sold for $500. In my opinion, the reverse looks MS66 - can't tell from the obverse.

FYI - There is also a lesser know and somewhat controversial variety a 1954 D over S FS # 32.9 or Breen 2736.
    (The Corso Collection) Always looking for high quality proof and full step Jeffersons - email me with details

My Jefferson Full Step Variety Set (1938 - Current)

My Jefferson Proof Variety Set (1938 - Current)
  • Options
    Thanks for the neat link!

Thanks also for the information.

It is nice to talk (read?) coins image
  • Options
    clackamasclackamas Posts: 5,615
    I thought none of the 54 S/D's could actually go 66 because of the strike with that variety. A well used die, maybe first used at the Denver mint and then the SF Mint. The strike on that coin however looks nice and at MS66 it would be a POP 1/0.
  • Options
    RGLRGL Posts: 3,784
    Looks like a nice coin ... I made a MS-64 from an unattributed coin filling the typical 54-S slot in a BU set I bought. As usual for this date, the strike on my coin leaves a lot to be desired. Hope you have a nice one there, pontiac.
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,709 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bill: That is a tough coin to grade MS65 or better. I own a great many PGS-MS64 coins that appear gemmy at first blush. Those are worth around $75. If your coin goes MS65, I feel you have done fine. I own the ANACS-MS66 that sold in the Goldberg sale. I believe a bid of $1725 was intended to be executed if anyone ran that coin further (it stopped at $575). I think it will become the pop 1/0 PCGS-MS66 coin sometime in the near future and is an incredible coin, with a possible value of $2,500-$5,000 IMHO and my biased opinion image

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    I will gladly entertain offers should a miricle happen. Otherwise, like frank said, I paid double
    sheet on a 65 image

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options
    I really like this issue, and the PCGS coins are only infrequently offered. From
    the limited photo's it looks like you've done fine, especially with a generous
    refund policy if it doesn't make MS65!

As long as it does, I think you've done pretty well. Of course, if it goes MS66,
    you have scored BIG!!! I hope you thwart Mitch's plan to make the first one.
    (No offense Mitch image )

Frank certainly knows his nickels, but I think he's a little low on the MS65
    price. I have one, but I'd gladly pay at least $125 for any/all of the other 22
    PCGS MS65 coins out there!

Ken

• Options
    "but I'd gladly pay at least $125 for any/all of the other 22
    PCGS MS65 coins out there!"

I'll pay $150/coin image

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    solidsolid Posts: 2,975
    To the other 22 owners out there, please note that I said "at least" $125/coin,
    but certainly would go substantially higher on a sight-seen basis for the right
    coins!!! image

Pontiac, that purchase is looking better by the hour!
  • Options
    "but certainly would go substantially higher on a sight-seen basis "

My $150 was SIGHT UNSEEN. I'll pay $1000 for the right MS65 SIGHT SEEN image

Wondercoin
  • Options
    solid I like that jeff set w/varities image

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options
    *COUGH*

mine will be available for inspection when it returns image

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options
    clackamasclackamas Posts: 5,615
    I have one and would not sell it for $125. I paid $199 in an ANACS MS65 holder, cracked it an it went MS65. However I paid $125 for my 55 D/S which is more rare and it was already in a PCGS MS65 Holder.
  • Options
    solidsolid Posts: 2,975
    Pontiac - thanks, and good luck with your submission! I've been idle this past year
    as nearly all my time and certainly all my funds have been redirected towards
    growing my business, but I love those Jefferson varieties - it really makes the set
    fun and interesting for me!!!

Mitch - Now thats what I call raising the ante! image

Clackamas - The 55-D/S is both more and less rare than the 54-S/D. From my
    understanding, PCGS will only slab the OMM#1 variety of this coin, but there
    are many lesser varieties due to the reuse in Denver of a number of dies that
    were originally intended for San Francisco in 1955. That said, I personally own
    two 55-D/S coins in PCGS holders that are not the OMM#1 coin, but are instead
    examples of the OMM #4 and #5 varieties that slipped by. So, it's really hard to
    say how many of the PCGS graded coins out there are, indeed OMM#1 coins!

Ken
  • Options
    Im really glad you guys are explaining all this valuable info...I have been chasing jeffs now
    for a year since aquireing franks 71-no s (bet hes sick of me mentioning that coin)
    but anyhow, im still learning...so keep piling it on image

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options
    it arrives this morning...should be an interesting day...torential rain n coins...lol

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options
    "Mitch - Now thats what I call raising the ante!"

Solid - great coins deserve super strong bids. I just slabbed that pop 1/0 1954S/D in PCGS-MS66. That coin is so, so difficult due to the weak strike of typical 1954(s) Jeffs. image

Wondercoin
  • Options
    HOLY SHHHHHHHHHH

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd like to state my public desire to obtain an MS65-PCGS example. PLEASE OFFER!

Checking account balance is ready and waiting.

-- Dennis
    (westdairy2@aol.com)
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    RGLRGL Posts: 3,784
    A wondercoin alright, Mitch. Congrats! As noted, I slabbed a 54 D/S in 64 and the strike is typically horrid. Can you better describe the strike on your 66?
  • Options
    Way to go Mitch! Does this mean you are no longer interested in those measly
    MS65 pieces out there? image

Ken
  • Options
    RGL: The strike is what made this coin an MS66 IMHO. Not the typical "mushy" 54(s), but, nicely struck - very well struck, in fact, for the date.

Solid: This date is a very underrated Jefferson nickel date IMHO. When I placed this new MS66 coin with a customer, I offered $500 for the undergrade MS65 "dup" for my inventory (which I originally sold in the high $200's a year or so ago) and could not shake the coin loose. So much for trying to buy an MS65 for $150 or so image

Wondercoin
  • Options
    Mitch, I couldn't agree more with you on this date. I didn't expect to be able to buy any
    at $150 or so, just making the point that I would be happy to...all day long. image

I'm also curious about the strike on the MS66 coin. I have an MS65 and MS64, which I just
    took a peek at. Both are very clean for the grade, but the reverses are mushy...0.25 steps
    at best with ill-defined details on Monticello.

Ken