Home Buy, Sell, & Trade - U.S. Coins
Options

For sale: Charlotte Gold - 1838 $5.... Asking $2,390

Life's a journey, not a destination.

Comments

• Options
    that's a nice coin. care to share the grade?
  • Options
    It's really hard to grade these coins due to striking inexperience, this one is slabbed at xf-40. I very much doubt PCGS will grade it.
  • Options
    NumisEdNumisEd Posts: 1,336
    That coin looks like it was sea salvaged or in the ground or something. Who certified it?
  • Options
    This coin was never in the ground nor in water. It was one of the earlier strikes as noted by the fact that there is no die crack on the reverse which is very common for this year.
  • Options
    TWQGTWQG Posts: 3,145 ✭✭
    WHO GRADED YOUR COIN?
  • Options
    It does not matter who graded it, 'buy the coin, not the slab'.
    If you like the coin, make me an offer; if not, tell me a joke to make me laugh, or be on your way.

thanks,
    john
  • Options
    There once was this guy, tried to sell this really expensive coin to a bunch of strangers yet didn't want to answer any questions about it.

How'd I do? Funny enough?

You don't think the plastic around that coin is important?
  • Options
    Now you're getting it....

Well, the thing is, I got this coin recently from a friend (dealer) of mine who i've known since around '95. Lately though he's been submitting almost all his raw coins to segs (because they do it for free and are fast). He bought this coin raw, sent it in to segs, i was the first person he showed it to when it came back and both of us believed that segs undergraded it. However, i did a 'guess the grade' post here some time ago and most people thought it was a 40, so maybe segs did get it right. And i'm selling it (or trying to atleast) since it doesn't fit in with my main set too well. I'm thinking of cracking it out. And then just wait and see if any company finally figures out how to grade charlotte gold, maybe resubmit it later if they do.
    ...tried to sell this really expensive coin to a bunch of strangers...
    Really expensive coin: definitely not. Somewhat pricey, perhaps. And you're not all strangers here anymore image You're some of the nicest people i know for selling & buying my favorite thingys.

---
    john
  • Options
    That wasn't too badimage I like your coin, it's just on my meager coin budget I would worry about authenticity unless I really knew about Charlotte gold.
  • Options
    does anyone else around like it?
  • Options
    sss
  • Options
    EF40 is $500.00. If you had a MS60, then we are at about $3,000
  • Options
    hi old guy

it appears you're a bit mistaken. ef-40 is around 2700 and a au-55 is available from someone else at 15k

thanks for the inquiry though
  • Options
    another bit of info: there is a total of 66 coins graded better by ngc & pcgs combined according to the pop reports.
  • Options
    ttt
  • Options
    uuu
  • Options
    Red Book 56th edition 2003 page 211, would beg to differ sir. If that coin was 1838c , it's value would be $4,500 at EF40, and $30,000 at MS60. I don't make the values, I just review them.

The coin is very nice. And good luck.
  • Options
    ok, i'd gladly sell you the coin for $4,500 image

(perhaps you didn't see the little c above the date, and as far as the title here goes, i didn't say 1838-c because i already said 'charlotte gold' hehe... sorry for the vagueness, but it's a force of habit.)
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you get the coin into a PCGS or NGC slab, myself and others would likely be interested. At this point, I think that I would be taking on too much risk, and I am sure others feel the same way. As a policy, I do not buy gold, especially from someone whom I do not know, outside a PCGS or NGC slab. I may not get a great deal, but I never get hosed, either.

Good luck with your sale.
  • Options
    I second that
  • Options
    So, do either of you two think pcgs or ngc will slab it? I'm thinking i might need to send it and get it net-graded by anacs. the style of anacs holders blow though, compared to segs. hmmmm. what to do, what to do....
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would recommend sending it to NGC first--if it crosses, great! If not, consider ebaying it.

Robert