Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

As if Wes Verno's AA set wasn't nice enough...

CWCW Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭
...he has added a new card to his already near perfect set
of 1955 Topps All-Americans....

a PSA 10 Turk Edwards card!
Absolutely amazing... that set is almost priceless!

Chuck

Comments

• Options
    im right on his heels chuck. only 5 or so tens and 50 nines to go lol.yes wes has a amazing set for sure.but he seems to have unlimited funds.the set rob built #2 as of now. i think may be even more of amazing story.wes has buy orders with so many dealers at such strong prices im sure cards find him.rob built his i piece at a time on a much more limited budet.and had to search himself. hats of to both. the are in a leauge of ther own for sure.
  • Options
    Art:

Once again thank you very much for the kind words.

Wes's set is a true rarity, I would have to agree. He has been building his much longer then I have mine, and I take my hat off to that set as well.

Good luck to all the AA set builders out there. This set is truely starting to get to the level that it should be held at.

Thanks again
    Rob Ruth
  • Options
    sixdartsixdart Posts: 821 ✭✭
    Rob,

I think everyone holds both sets in high regard for obvious reasons. The 1955 Topps All-American set has such a mix of population numbers that it is collectible on all levels. Demand is now starting to exceed supply on the commons.

As a vintage PSA football set collector, I have come to understand the effort, patience, frustration and sacrifice required while trying to assemble high quality set. Trying to balance work (travel requirements), family life (4 kids) and finances is tough. I wish I could find the time and resources to submit my own material. However, I am at the mercy of Ebay and other online websites/auction houses that charge top dollar for low population cards (most are worthy of those prices).

I think that all vintage football is finally getting respect. Most of my resources and contacts mention that they have never received such a high level of calls searching out these cards. Many can not restock the cards and do not plan to even try - they are just to hard to locate. Everyday I see an increase of fresh faces to this market. Even hardcore baseball collectors have taken notice. The early Bowman and Leaf cards are just as beautiful as the baseball - the 1955 Topps All-American set stands unique. Some of the earlier Bowman and Leaf issues are in single digits, either PSA 7 or PSA 8. That makes set completion extremely hard, many people will give up during the process.

Many websites had football cards that I thought would never sell at their listed prices , or at least I would have time to buy, are now gone. In my opinion, any 1955 and prior PSA 8 is undervalued.

Maybe the cause of this is the PSA Registry Set ... maybe not? However, the exposure has made available many cards to many people and has generated new interest towards vintage football, which is a good thing. I have even brought and sold a few cards to/from current CU forum members - even to Chuck. In fact my first 1948 Bowman football PSA 8 purchase was from SUPERPUNK813 (Paul)! Perhaps this has led to a growing interest in the early history of the NFL. Discovering the history of the early NFL and it's stars creates as much collecting enjoyment for me as finding that needed low population common - same feeling that I had when I first starting collecting baseball cards.

I think that this trend is here to stay. image
  • Options
    CWCW Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭
    > Everyday I see an increase of fresh faces to this market.

I've definitely done my part to spread the word about the Set
    Registry. I even did a little bit of "recruiting". image I emailed
    a few (14) people that I saw constantly bidding on PSA graded AA's, and
    just gave them some info and a link to the Registry. So far the
    replies that I've received have all been positive, and I've even
    talked to a guy who is a couple cards short of a set in all PSA 8 --
    he had never even heard of the Set Registry and he said he'll eventually
    add his set to the list. Sure, this might create more competition on
    the list of '55 AA's, and it will probably bump me down a couple notches
    since my set averages out to 7.30, but I'd rather see more sets on the
    list. That's what it's all about -- representing the sets you love,
    and trying to build the sets that give you the most enjoyment, as well as
    discussing the hobby with your fellow collectors.

cheers, fellas,
    Chuck