Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

who uses Olympus C-5050

I have a question for you if you use the Olympus C-5050
how fast does it reload the shot I have a c-3000 which I like allot but the
time is a little slow when I want to take another picture
is their a number to look for to check the reload time ???

Comments

• Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    I use a C2020 and it is very slow on auto focus and time to save the picture.
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• Options
    MrKelsoMrKelso Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭
    The recovery time seemed ok to me on the c-5050 i played with at compusa today.
    All digi camera's are slow to recover as they have to write the picture to mem.

The c-5050 seemed fatser then my HP and my Sony

"The silver is mine and the gold is mine,' declares the LORD GOD Almighty."
  • Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    I picked up my C-5050 Saturday from a local camera shop. I can tell it will be a long learning curve. A couple of things impressed me, I requested the dealer take some macro pix of a coin while I was there of a state quarter. It has two macro settings and took some amazing pixs. It also comes with a remote. If I have time later this evening I will shoot some pixs, my brain willing.
  • Options
    Please post some pics Mike. I was leaning Olympus and then I saw some pics from the CoolPix 4500, and starting leaning towards a Nikon. Now I find out that the 4500 has been discontinued and once again I'm leaning towards the Olympus again. I'm just not sure between the 4000 and the 5050. Would love to see some close-ups of coins with a 5050.

What problems did you have with the CoolPix?

Thanks for the help.

Michael

• Options
    Michael, I was pulled between the 4500 and the Olympus. In talking with camera dealers the "supposed" advantage of the Olympus is the ability to capture more natural colors without playing with phote imaging software. I had a rather inexpensive Nikon coolpix 885 and I never could get the red out of coin pixs with it. It dies on its on once and Nikon had it for 30 days to fix. The last time gravity got it. I wanted a 5 megapixel camera and heard from some board members that the 5700 didn't capture copper as well as they had hoped it would. I am hoping next weekend I will have some time to mess around with the learning curve. There is a big price difference in the C-5050 and the Nikon 5700 too.
  • Options
    DracoDraco Posts: 512
    Olympus C5050 super macro mode.
  • Options
    That camera has great optics

• Options
    Well I'm sold ...... Happy Birthday to me, Happy Birthday to me. image

Michael
  • Options
    It's always a good thing when you give yourself a birthday present because you know your going to like it image

I'm still torn between the C5050 and coolpix 5000. I just can't make up my mind.
  • Options
    I use a Pixellink camera for my images.
    Constellatio Collector sevenoften@hotmail.com
    ---------------------------------
    "No Good Deed Goes Unpunished!"
    "If it don't make $"
    "It don't make cents""
  • Options
    I already own Olympus top notch 35mm equipment (OM4-T and assorted lenses)......so once i get all caught up on all my coin commitments the Olympus C-5050 looks like the digital camera i'm stepping up to!

Read the excellent review below.......looks like this camera is a real winner!

Very Positive Olympus C-5050 Camera Review
    The Ex-"Crown Jewel" of my collection! 1915 PF68 (NGC) Barber Half "Eliasberg".

Once again resides with Legend, the original purchaser "raw" at live Eliasberg auction. Laura and i "love" the same lady!

• Options
    JRJR Posts: 476
    Digital Photography Review site.
    The above link will take you to an excellent camera reference site that allows you to compare features of different digital cameras side by side. You can select several cameras to compare at once. Click the link below, and you should see four cameras I clicked on to compare – The Olympus 5050 Zoom, and the Nikon 4500, 5000 and 5700:
    Comparison: Olympus 5050 Zoom, Nikon 4500, 5000, 5700.
  • Options
    waynemewayneme Posts: 852
    Well i'm in i just ordered a c-5050 at
    http://www.infinitycameras.com/viewitem.php?IndexID=3542&RefTag=dealtime
    i kind of hate updateing all the time but i take a lot of photo's pups and horses
    so i'll use the c-3000 as a back up
  • Options
    Wayneme,

I hope you'll post some macro coin pictures here when you get your C-5050. If it does as good a job on coins as it did on the above photo of a watch face, I'll be lining up to buy one too.

Jim
  • Options
    WOW! $493 w/shipping for a C5050 is the best deal I've seen.

I may jump on that in the next few days.
  • Options
    Great job on the Photo JR I'M sure it will be a while for my coins to look that good
  • Options
    one thing i have found out it seem you card has something to do with the photo writing speed so i'm
    looking for a fast card
    http://www.ec.kingston.com/ecom/configurator/PartsInfo.asp?ktcpartno=cf/1024&referid=28
    i'm taking to this site to see if it will work on the c 5050
  • Options
    Hey is that a scratch in your watch crystal?

• Options
    sadysta1sadysta1 Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭
    I caved in as well, I just bought a ditital camera as well but not Olympus. If it get home before I leave for the project and I learn how to use it I'll post the pics. Sadysta1 officially entered 21st century!!!!!
  • Options
    Well here is the first picture taken with my new 5050, its a large one. 1908D Barber dime NGC64.1908DBarber
  • Options
    shylockshylock Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭
    Very nice Mike, let's see some more!
  • Options
    Here is one more, I apologize for the large pictures but wanted to show its capabilities. I need different lighting to show off this 1880 MS65 red/bown cent, which is actually purple and red. The 5 megapixels sure show off the detail though.
    IHC
  • Options
    Lookin good so far.

• Options
    One of the nice features of this camera is called "mymode", which lets you set all the settings you need for a picture, allowing you to use it for coin after coin without worrying about the settings. It almost becomes point and shoot in the macro modes, of which there are two. There are up to 8 modes you can set. So far I am on page 60 of the 268 page manual. image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file