Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1951 Topps Magics Scratched Backs?

I'm in the process of starting a graded set of the 1951 Topps Magic football cards and could use a little help with a question. This was the second football set ever issued by Topps -- the first was the 1948 Magic Photo set which had the collector rubbing off the front of the card to reveal the picture of the player. 1951 was one of the first uses of the scratch-off feature -- the name Magic derives from the magical appearance of info when the silverish sheen was scratched off on the back of these cards - both an answer to a question and a picture regarding the player's university could be revealed.

This 75-card set of college players (notables that went on to fine pro careers were Bill Wade, Babe Parilli, Bert Rechichar, and Marion Campbell) is a very tough issue to find in any condition but I do have a line on a large lot of the cards but all have the backed scratched off (some with just the answer revealed and some including the picture as well).

My question is does anyone have any experience with scratched off cards and have any idea how much it would lower the PSA grade? One point? Two points? Could get nothing higher than a 4? Or ????

Thanks!

Kevin

Here's a picture of a completely scratched back, one with just a little scratched to give you an idea of what an unscratched card looks like, and also included is a front shot of one of my favorite cards in the set - Bill Matthews of New York University - the only horizontal picture of the 75 cards:

imageimageimage

Comments

• Options
    sixdartsixdart Posts: 821 ✭✭
    There was a PSA 7 sold on EBAY within the last month or so and the back was unscratched/intact. I have (2) SGC 84/7 NM and (1) SGC 86/7.5 NM+ with the backs unscratched.

I have yet to see a graded example higher than in 6 EX-MT without the silver intact. I have seen lesser grades, 3s, 4s and 5s with the silver unscratched that appeared to have accurate grades.

Most collectors place a premium on untouched cards. I guess that this issue would qualify the same as other football issues from the '60s that were produced with coin rub-offs.

Good luck on your set ... those are tough cards!
  • Options
    jmullenjmullen Posts: 159
    I am pretty sure that the 1948s were not scratched off ... they were "developed". You basically got them wet (e.g., you licked them) and put them in the sun for 20 minutes. Depending on how long you left them out and how much water you put on them .... you would get a different contrast.

I know I wrote a whole bunch about this on my website if anyone wants to read it. It should be under the 1948 Topps Magic Photo category.

Jeff

http://www.vintagebasketballcards.info
  • Options
    just my 2 cents kevin but i have never seen 1 with a scrached back higher then a 4 grade.and i have seen a couple that the back had to be only reason for the grade. looked liked easy sevens other wise.a new quest for the great sonegate collection will the journey for the holy grail never end? cheers to the new quest. and always remember HAIL TO THE REDSKINS image
  • Options
    Jeff -- you must be right on the 1948 Topps Magic set, I've only seen the #11 Bob Chapuis football card but the basketball cards on your site from that set definitely look like a polaroid-type of development process. By the way, thanks for pointing me to Rob L. on the Johnny Ezersky questions as he's a fantastic source of knowledge regarding vintage basketball.

Art -- Good analogy on the Holy Grail - this hobby is full of quests like Indiana Jones' effort to acquire the Cup of the Carpenter: Only penitent men shall pass (boy have I groveled on my knees for cards!), you must walk with God to find the way (think internet searching), and it requires a final Leap of Faith (I'm sure this purchase will be a good investment over time....) to gain the item.

Anyone ever graded any card with a scratched off back? Did you get a qualifier or a downgrade?

Cheers,
    Kevin