Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Average State Quarter Grades Dropping

I dropped some of the quarter pop numbers in a spread sheet and did a little match last night. The average grade of state quarters has fallen off in 2003. I think part of this is due to the fact these coins are only from bags and rolls, not mint sets. Look at the IL-P and AL-D... these have 139 & 99 graded, and both have roughly twice as many MS64s as MS67s graded.

67.1 2002-P LA 25C
66.2 2002-D LA 25C
67.1 2002-P IN 25C
66.3 2002-D IN 25C
66.8 2002-P MS 25C
66.3 2002-D MS 25C
65.4 2003-P IL 25C
66.1 2003-D IL 25C
65.5 2003-P AL 25C
65.2 2003-D AL 25C

Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!

Comments

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is a lot of variability in the quality of the coins made for circulation and the
    quality made for mint sets over the last several decades. The average quality of
    mint set coins is almost always superior to the average quality of the ones made
    for circulation, and the very best coins almost always go into mint sets. Other than
    these there are few statements which will apply to the relative quality of the mint
    set and other coins. Some coins are extremely difficult to find as gem in sets while
    the same coin may not be particularly difficult in rolls. Quality can change very quick-
    ly from one year or mint to the next. The mint has been getting consistently better
    for three years now with mint set quality (and circulation issues)so it's likely this year
    will also see some great coins in the sets, but this isn't a sure thing.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,709 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Brian: My guess is the grading will start shooting up once the mint set coins come back from submission. I believe 2002 was a landmark year for the Phila. Mint in terms of improving their quality. Denver was somewhat better as well, but really had trouble shipping out high quality nickels, halves and even some of the state quarters. Why would Phila. drop off quality in 2003 after "getting it right" in 2002? I personally see no logical reason, but, admittedly, sometimes logic isn't involved image

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    Very interesting, thought the quality was getting better.
    PCGS sets under The Thomas Collections. Modern Commemoratives @ NGC under "One Coin at a Time". USMC Active 1966 thru 1970" The real War.
  • Options
    itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    Maybe it's the quality of the graders submitting the coins, not the coins themselves. On the AL-D, 44% of the coins graded are MS65!
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!