Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Random question about intermediate grades?

Just a random question. Why can vf and au be determined precisely enough to have 4 grades each (vf20,25,30,35,au50,53,55,58), but the inbetween grade of xf has only 2 (xf40,45). Probably no big deal, just seems a little strange!

Comments

• Options
    wingedlibertywingedliberty Posts: 4,805 ✭✭
    Good question. I wish I had an answer., but it seems to work just fine.

Brian.
  • Options
    relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570

Before there were numbers, there were just names.

The number theory is that a grade is worth X times what a "1" would be worth. It was just a theory.

So when try to match up "VF" to a numeric value that reflected what they actually traded for, 20-35 was the range.
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,808 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good question...There has always been a wide range scope that fits within the VF grade. Some coins that are low end while others just miss EF. There is a need for the range that exists especially for Classic coinage. As fo AU, again there are low end AU and high end coins and I think the scale works well there too.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    And note that VF gets a 20 point range (assume 18-38). No other grade gets this much territory. Just think, might make for some nice buys in VF30-35 coins.
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The VF range of points is probably why four grades are used. With the AU coins I believe the different grades may reflect how much Luster is still present on the coin with the wear factor included also. Just a opinion.

Ken
  • Options
    JulianJulian Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭
    The services only use 5 point increments. However, all the #'s do exist. Since my use of the #'s is a shorthand, I do use the intermediate #'s. I could call a coin ef-48 or vf-23, although I rarely do that with vf's. I have used f-17. Feel free to use the #'s as you wish. They are in the public domain and knowledgeable numismatists will know what you mean.
    PNG member, numismatic dealer since 1965. Operates a retail store, also has exhibited at over 1000 shows.
    I firmly believe in numismatics as the world's greatest hobby, but recognize that this is a luxury and without collectors, we can all spend/melt our collections/inventories.

eBaystore
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,356 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are varying ranges of value in a grade and varying widths of grades.

Popular grades like AU will have a wide spread of value from high end to low
    end which necessitates the intermediate grades for pricing.

Coins in circulation require much more time to pass through some grades than
    they do other grades. A typical coin can spend nearly a third of it's lifespan in
    AG alone. Other grades like XF can be relatively brief.

Collectible coins still in existence were pulled out of circulation at varying times
    of their "lifespan" dependent on their percieved rarity and their availability. This
    also causes a varying demand in reaction to price (which is partially dictated by
    supply). In any case there will likely be fewer coins saved from the grades which
    are briefest.

XF not VF!
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    homerunhallhomerunhall Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭
    The 1 to 70 system was devised 50 years ago by large cent collector Dr. William Sheldon. He's the one that came up with the 4 grades for VF, 2 grades for EF idea. I tend to agree with the division because there is a lot more difference between the high end and low end for the VF grade. It's based on percentage of wear and there's a greater degree of difference percentage-wise for the VF grade than any other grade. The following additions were made to the Sheldon scale. For Mint State coins, Sheldon had MS60, 65, and 70. In the 1970s, coin dealers began using MS 63 and 67. In the early 80s they added MS64. When PCGS started we added MS61, 62, 66, 68, and 69. The Sheldon scale used AU50 and 55. When PCGS started we added Au53 and 58...David Hall

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file