Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

Smaller Slab Size

Why do slabs have to be so big for small coins? Couldn't the grading companies make just a few different sizes, one for nickels or smaller, another size or two for quarters or halves, and then ones for dollars? I'm soon not going to be able to fit all my coins in my safe. The size of the slab is my least favorite thing about slabs (my favorite thing is the physical protection I HOPE they do give to the coins). And how's this for an idea? If the slabs were smaller they could make albums that fit more like 20 or 30 per page, so we nicely could house our registry sets! They could even just put the date and mintmark (and maybe variety) on the front of the slab (i.e. take up only a little space) and put the grade and serial no. on the back. I like enjoying coins as works of art or beauty or whatever and it seems having the grade right there kind of detracts, makes it more of a itemized object of a fixed grade and monetary value. Remember also the highest registry sets gradewise might not be the nicest sets in terms of toning or eye appeal or matching of coins!

Comments

• itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    One drawback will be the loss of a standard size slab, box, ability to stack, etc.

Maybe a middle ground would be two sizes... Halves, dollars and double eagles in the bigger size (possibly smaller than todays in height) and smaller coins in minis. Would two sizes be annoying? Could boxes be designed that would hold either/both sizes (20 big, 35 small, 10 big & 16 small, etc.)?
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    Haletj,

I would think that part of the reason (if not the whole reason) for one size is the tooling. It is very expensive to make injection molds, and to have multiple sizes would be costly, not only to PCGS, but the cost would have to be passed along to the consumer. Hope this helps.

Tony

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭
    One thing I like about my PCGS collection is having my coins housed in the Eagle certified holders (9 to a page). The consistancy of size makes this appealing to me. Although I'm not a type collector, I could see that various sizes of slabs for different denominations might not be appealing to type collectors. JMHO. Steveimage
  • prooflikeprooflike Posts: 3,879 ✭✭
    SOLUTION - Only buy ANACS slabs.

• mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,526 ✭✭✭
    I like the size of PCGS slabs, they fit the hand well. NGCs are okay too, ANACS is too small, but that doesn't stop me from buying a nice ANACS slabbed coin. I like the Eagle albums too, especially for Registry sets, but most all the slabs will fit in them, I don't use the adapters for the ANACS sized slabs.
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.