Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

If you put the word out to the top dealers that you wanted the best of the best...

If you asked the best dealers for the best of the best coins, and were willing to pay for them, would you expect "the best", or "a test", or a look-see at "the rest" of what they had available? What kind of service would you expect with that kind of open-ended order?
Would you expect to get "the first call" if such an offer was made?

Comments

• braddickbraddick Posts: 22,992 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it's a popular Dealer i would expect, under the scenerio you stated, to at least be put on his short list. I'd imagine he would have other clients with the same hopes and dreams who he has built up a relationship with before me.

peacockcoins

• merz2merz2 Posts: 2,474
    RC
    I agree with braddick.Tere are many collectors that have built up a relationship with these dealers.No one should expect to be put at the top of the list.
    Don
    Registry 1909-1958 Proof Lincolns
  • DAMDAM Posts: 2,410 ✭✭
    I will ditto the previous two replies.

You can't just "walk in off the street" and expect to go to the head of a dealers list. You may be at the top though, depending on your coin or series preference.

Dan
  • I don't know. But I sure wish I could find out image
  • coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485
    Generally speaking, if we receive a request such as that, we try to let the new client know where he stands, with respect to other want lists, already on file.

There have been numerous occasions when I have received a new want list and said something to the effect of "I'll be happy to keep a lookout for you but, just so you know, I have two prior want lists for the same coin, so it might be a long wait".
  • wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mark summed it up nicely. I would simply add that from my personal experience, just because you might be, say, 3rd, on a want list does not mean you will not get great coins from time to time. For example, an incredible coin in a series might come my way with a large price tag acccompanying it. Depending on the time of year and other conditions (stock market, etc), the top guy on a want list might pass. The #3 guy might step up and buy the coin, while #2 confirms he is out of the market for say 6 months - hence, dropping to the #3 spot, while #3 moves up to #2. Generally speaking, if one is committed to a coin project, they can often do quite well with the "best dealers" in that area.

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485
    And, Mitch added on quite nicely and accurately!
  • roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't you think that a buyer looking to spend a million or two over the next 2 years might just get a shot at the top position? Especially if he plunks down money up front and you know he is not going to question your judgement? Hmmmmmmm?

roadrunner

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
    Roadrunner: I believe the author of this question can attest to this first hand - if a reputable dealer puts a special customer in the #1 spot and gives him that promise, even "Bill Gates" will not have first shot at the coins. Basically, your "word" is everything in this business. Screwing a good customer because someone with more money comes along simply isn't a good way to do biz I think. Of course, a possible alternative is always suggesting the top customer sells off to "Mr. Money" so everyone does well. image

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • WC:

Your advice is logical. But you didn't answer the question really, did you. If I gave you an open order on lincolns and a coin came along that your top set holder(s) needed, I would never see the coin. Especially if it was PQ or "all there". So generally speaking, even money doesn't pursuade a good loyal dealer. This I agree with you on. The new guy only gets a shot at the second hand stuff, if and only if the top customers don't want the coin offered.

As I have not seen a guy like Gates enter the lincoln market, its nice to show "loyalty" as suggested, but if real money were on the table, my experience with this market leads me to conclude that Gates would get whatever he wanted from who ever he wanted it from.
    LC: We'll just have to watch what happens if, and when, "Gates" comes along. image

Wondercoin
  • barberloverbarberlover Posts: 2,229
    iF I had the money to buy my dream coin, rather then paying dealers to do it, i would fly to major shows and pay for dealer day badges so i could make deals on the bourse floor and buy my own. But that isn't likely to happen.
    The President claims he didn't lie about taxes for those earning less then $250,000 a year with public mandated health insurance yet his own justice department has said they will use the right of the government to tax when the states appeals go to court.
  • EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I had my own retail biz, I'd be ecstatic to have multiple Mr. Moneybags fighting it out for the top spot and then having to wrestle with this dilemma... image

But, not having my own retail biz, I'd have to guess at how I'd handle the situation... I think there are several factors here that are being ignored, like how far along a particular Mr. Moneybag (MB) is with his set and how good of a friendship or rapport I have with each MB. Assuming all factors being equal except for length of relationship (which will necessarily affect the loyalty and comfort factors), I would try to dole out the material fairly. If I had 3 MB's competing for a high-end <pick your series> set, I would probably offer out the coins in a round-robin fashion.

Of course, this question is really very complicated because rarely are all the other factors equal! In the end, I'd be very careful not to allow the new, but good, MB client feel short-changed on opportunity because cultivating new relationships is just as important as maintaining existing relationships.

EVP

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wondercoin, my intent was that the new Mr. MB would pretty much buy whatever was put in front of him based on the experience of the dealer. Most existing well-heeled collectors will not do that. Maybe they'll return half of what it sent to them. So you are looking at coins sitting longer, getting returned, etc. Top rate buyers really don't want to get a coin that has been returned.....a stigma of sorts is attached to the coin. And if they do buy it the first time around, no one really knew it was available in the first place. If Mr. #1 returns the coin, Mr #2 or #3 are gonna think a little harder on why it's still around. Maybe not always, but a significant portion of the time.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,146 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not always true that a returned coin is tainted goods. I recently purchased an 1873 PF66 trade dollar from Legend. The coin had been offered to another customer before me. He was doing an 1873 set, but passed on the coin due to price. Once I saw the coin, it was sold! It is the absolute finest 1873 trade dollar in existance and really should be in a 67 holder. The price for the quality was amazingly low - but you have to know the series to recognize that fact.

Moral of the story is that being in second or third place isn't always bad.
  • EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've seen that 1873 PF TD. It's a piece of ...

EVP

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,282 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is no doubt that the big buck, quick sale would get first shot. Quit kidding yourself with altruistic BS.
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.