Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1954 Topps PSA Commons

I am getting ready to start the 1954 Topps set in PSA 6-7 condition. I wanted to get some advice from all of you on your experience with this set. Any type of advice or recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks Dilferaff

Comments

• Options
    I put "commons" in the title of this thread, but I am actually asking about the set as a whole. Thanks Dilferaff
  • Options
    acowaacowa Posts: 945 ✭✭
    I have a suggestion. Email or call me. I can get you started with a sweet lot of mostly 7's and a few 6's. Here's what I have:

Link to available 1954's

I have built a set in PSA 7 with a few 8's...it's listed on the registry.

Regards,

Alan Cowart

(770) 315-5121
  • Options
    mrc32mrc32 Posts: 604
    I am nearly done with the set in raw condition. I tried to pick up cards that would grade in the PSA 5-7 range.

This is not an easy set unless you are ready to spend big money quickly. The advice I would give you is be patient. That set has a plethora of cards and they come up often. So if one card is out of your price range then pass. Another one will show up in no time.

There are some tough cards: the Woodling, Power, Buster Mills, Ben Wade and some of the Short printed cards. So picking those up in the right condition could be a challenge. The HOF player selection is wonderful and plentiful. So like I said before be patient and know what you want to pay.

Putting this set together has been a joy for me that has taken 3 years. I think it is one of the best sets with the most color (not wacky color like 1972). The player selection is great and it isn't a super large set.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.
  • Options
    nortynorty Posts: 201
    Dilferaff:

Good luck with the set. If you are going to any major shows (Sports Fest, National, San Francisco, Fort Washington), please look for me at Setbuilders as I typically carry a good run of cards in that grade raw.
    Joe Tauriello
    Setbuilders Sports Cards
    Ebay: set-builders & set-builders2
  • Options
    gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭
    I have the following available in the 1954 Topps set:

Whitey Ford #37 PSA 6
    Yogi Berra #50 PSA 6
    Phil Rizzuto #17 PSA 7

I could sell at a significant discount of SMR.
    Email me at gregmo32@aol.com if you are interested.
    Thanks, greg
    I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !
  • Options
    Thanks for all of the advice guys. I am definitely going to take my time and not try to put this set together in one year. I typically focus on football and basketball, but I wanted to put together a vintage baseball set, and this is one I figured would be the one to go with. It is not to large, and has a great selection of players. Hopefully I will be able to find some bargains in the up coming year. Thanks again