Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Opinions on Digital Camera -- Olympus C-4000

I know everyone here likes the Nikon Coolpic or the Ricoh that others use, but does any have an Olympus C-4000?

I've never used it before, but a friend has it, and says it's super-simple. He doesn't do any macro shots so I was wondering if anyone here has one. And its only $449.

The specs indicate super-macro capabilities, down to 1". I know that the Coolpic goes down to 2 cm or .8". I just don't see 1 cm making that much of a difference. And its 4.0 megs.

Olympus C-4000

Thanks
Michael

Comments

• Options
    That is the camera I use. C4000 zoom. Check out my website to see the pictures it takes.

You can get very close to objects but I find it is hard to get lighting right when you get so close. I like the camera.

Lori image
  • Options
    CoinAddictCoinAddict Posts: 5,571
    That is the camera that I am currently using. We bought at Wal_mart for less then $400. They were clearing out most of their cameras for new stock. It has lots of features on it. Here is a link to get some more information.
    Link to review on Olympus C-4000
    After reading the reviews about this camera we were sold so it was just a matter of time trying to find a decent price. I love the camera and do not think I could have chosen anything better for the price. image
  • Options
    MrKelsoMrKelso Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭
    I also heard good things about the C-5050. I think i have the model correct. Anyone know about this model?

"The silver is mine and the gold is mine,' declares the LORD GOD Almighty."
  • Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    The Olympus C-5050 is a 5 megapixil with a ten zoom feature. My Nikon keeps breaking down, so I am going to the C-5050 Zoom. My local camera store guy tells me that the Olympus takes more natural color pictures than the Nikon 4500 and 5700. It retails for $799 but can be had on Ebay with options for less than $725. Rated better by PC Magazine than the 4500 and for a few dollars more you get more pixels and a better camera. Frattlaw I would check out the C-5050 before I went cheap on the C-4000. The camera alone is selling between $550 and $650 on Ebay and in my opinion worth the few extra bucks.

I am purchasing one this week, myself.
  • Options
    Irishmike
    I first heard about the C-5050 on TechTv and they had nothing but great things to say about this Camera. I am going to Compusa today to look it over and then will look online for the best price. Amazon.com may have it for a good price but i will have to look.

Good Luck

• Options
    We have one we purchased on line for about $ 370 shipping included. We love it ....just looked at the Memmorial Day pics ......128 hi-resolution pics (extra 128mb memory card..$38 on-line) that you can then
    use your photo program to zoom in 4 times without noticeable loss, then crop it however you want.

As to the coin pics, I'm still learning and struggling with the lighting...but clarity is excellent....

Good luck

John

Enjoy the day.........
  • Options
    I am still using the HP 715 3.3 MP camera. It works well for coin pics. I am giving it to my nephew and am going to purchase the C-5050. I looked the C-5050 over today at compusa and it is a nice package.
    now to find a good price online.

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,026 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My Camera is the Coolpix 4500... $436 after the rebate. It has a few more control functions and better zoom if you want, along with full "dummy mode" for quick pictures.

Anaconda uses it, and Shylock uses its predecessor.

Jeremy
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    cosmicdebriscosmicdebris Posts: 12,333
    I have the C3000 but the C4000 is definately much better and if you got the bucks go for the C5050 more megapixels and features.
    Bill

09/07/2006

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file