Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Anyone have grading experience with Topps stickers?

Folks- Just wondering if any of you guys have had any experience getting early 1980's Topps stickers graded? I recently bought a few team sets for the Reds and am looking to get the Bench cards graded. From all the cards I've seen so far, most look off center. Any experience or advice? Thanks- Scott

Comments

• Options
    AlanAllenAlanAllen Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭
    I'd say they're tougher on average to get in 9 or 10 than their cardboard counterparts. Other than the centering, you need to watch out for micro creases because the stock is so thin, and print marks (especially on the back) which the stickers seem susceptible to. The good news is that you can buy a ton of them raw pretty cheaply.

Joe
    No such details will spoil my plans...
  • Options
    I've sent in about a dozen Topps football stickers from 81 and 82 with all coming back as 8's. I have the most trouble with centering - I haven't seen a decently centered sticker yet.
    John Vineyard

• Options
    I can't vouch for the Topps Stickers ... But I can give you some advice from experience and learnings from 1969 Topps Decals...

1.) Corners - PSA seems to be extremely tough on the slightest touch to cornerrs on stickers and some reason to the naked eye a corner that looks like a sure 8 or 9 can be a 7. Make sure you look at the corners very caregfully under at least 10X magnification.

2.) Mini Creases ... Especially on the back if they are blank they are tough to catch and usually get over looked because the front has the picture and the back is boring.

Those have my two biggest stumbling blocks with the 69 Decal set....
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass... it's about learning to dance in the rain.
  • Options
    boggs301012boggs301012 Posts: 1,135 ✭✭
    I have 2 of them graded. Both 9;s 1983 topps and OPC version. I had only three to choose from on the topps it was the best centered ...yes they are off center alot of the time. The other I traded for it looks really nice just got it a few days ago. I have some other mini's as well I bought from MS ...I am starting to like the smaller cards. I want to have the 1984 Fleer stickers graded next. I think down the road I want to have a MINI WADE BOGGS set registry. I dont really see a demand for them, that is part of the appeal for me. The corners on those are easily damaged.

James
    x
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    gtbreaker:

I do have some experience, which I will gladly share with you. I will try to summarize what I remember/recall in a few main ideas:

A) What out for miscut cards. Topps did not take as much care in cutting their Sticker cards as with other 1980s regular issues. Thus, huge tilts and other miscuts are the rule, not the exception. You need a strong cut to make a high grade.

B) It should not be difficult to segregate the 8 and better raw examples from the rest. However, differentiating between 8s and 9s is fairly difficult. I have only gotten one 10 on raw submission, so I think I have little basis for defining those. I would say that the abundance of inexpensive unopened will allow for a plethora of areas to find and submit the "best of the best" raw examples.

C) Good luck with the foil all-star cards. These cards are extrarodinarily tough compared to the regular sticker counterparts. As the stock is thicker -- there are often imperfections in the cut, as well as noticeable scrathes, etc.

D) Print smudges are often apparent on these cards. They will downgrade for these if they are apparent at all. As these cards are smaller than regular issue cards, I think PSA tends to be more critical of surface smudges, etc. These are very apparent around the black-lined border of the cards.

E) Finally -- look at the back of the sticker. Often, these are not printed very well. If there is toning, print spots, or other noticeable defects on the sticker back of the card, it will be reflected in the final grade. This seems to be something that is completely out of one's control -- as unopened boxes of stickers produce both pristine and toned sticker backs from the same pack of stickers.

The stickers can be very fun to collect -- and I am proud to say that I have never gotten anything below a PSA 8 on my raw submissions. But you must be very conscentious when reviewing the stickers before submitting them. Luckily, as they are so readily available (a box has 100 packs -- often giving you many multiples of the same sticker), it should be easy for you to compare examples with each other and only submit the best.

MS
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.