Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Look at how the '63 Topps Baseball uncut sheets were made

I never gave it any thought, but this is a clever way to manufacture cards with a semi-colored border. (Pic from Lelends current auction).

Take a good look at them. Some cards may be in Beckett holders in the near future. image

Comments

• Options
    unishipuniship Posts: 490 ✭✭
    Very cool indeed.
  • Options
    qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    The hell w/ chopping them up for Beckett grading, put them in nice frames and they would be awesome for any wall...jay
  • Options
    CreeperKatCreeperKat Posts: 393 ✭✭
    If you frame them, which way is up?
    Looking for Los Angeles/California/Anaheim Angels in PSA 8 or better
  • Options
    toppsguntoppsgun Posts: 787

Here's an interesting subplot for you. Whitey Ford #446 is the last card in the set with a green border. That means no 6th (#447-522) nor 7th (#523-576) series cards had the green border.

Dan's pic explains it.
  • Options
    dudedude Posts: 1,454 ✭✭
    toppsgun,

Since you know alot more about '63 than I do, do you see a correlation between where the card is located on the sheet relative to it's high or low population?
  • Options
    Hey, that sheet on the left is 11 x 12 = 132 cards. Someone should look closely at the cards to see what was double (or short) printed. The top two rows and the bottom two rows look to be the same. That looks like #22 Curt Simmons in the lower left corner. That might explain the centering problems on that card (one of the low pops).
  • Options
    The other corner cards are Phillies or Angels team (upper right), a checklist (upper left) and Cunningham #100 (lower right). None of those are particularly tough, except maybe the Cunningham.

I'd love to own it. Dude, bid on it for me. I'll go up to $1,000.image
  • Options
    I've also noticed the #28 Mike Fornieles and #40 Vic Power cards on the edge of that sheet. That may explain why they are VERY tough cards in high grade.
    1963 TOPPS~ SayitaintsoJoe's Fresh from the pack Screamers~ All pictured in living color

"There's no crying in baseball card set building."
  • Options
    Michael.....I count 4 checklist cards on that sheet.......Could all those be first series checklists??
    1963 TOPPS~ SayitaintsoJoe's Fresh from the pack Screamers~ All pictured in living color

• Options

Joe63,

Yep. Four checklists. I'd guess #79 & #102, but it could be both #79's, double printed to boot.

Good observation on the Fornieles and Power. Look down the left side of sheet #1:

Simmons
    Stigman
    Kline
    Moeller
    Fairly
    Keough

The right hand side has (in addition to the above two you mentioned):

Gibbon
    Ramos
    Kuenn
    Koonce

Looks like my want list!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Amazing.....all the high grade low pop cards seem to be edge cards on that sheet....Now we know why

• Options
    mcastaldimcastaldi Posts: 1,130 ✭✭
    Dan> 75T sheets are very similar, but the color coordination works in both the top and bottom direction. For example, if you have a row of cards with red tops and yellow bottoms - the row above will have cards with red bottoms and the row below will have cards with yellow tops. Does that make sense?

When I get home I'll see if I have a picture of a 75 sheet on my home computer.

Mike
    So full of action, my name should be a verb.
  • Options
    COOL!!!! How much would something like that go for? Who's the biggest star on that sheet? image
    "All my life I've been searching for something"
  • Options
    srs1asrs1a Posts: 398
    Mike, if 75 was done as you suggest, how did MS get that curious Schmidt card (9MC, if I remember correctly with a yellow (?) stripe at the top). When I saw that card, I wondered why they didn't do exactly what you describe. hmmmmm

Very cool sheets!
    Dr S. of the Dead Donkeys MC
  • Options
    VirtualizardVirtualizard Posts: 1,936 ✭✭

<< <i>Mike, if 75 was done as you suggest, how did MS get that curious Schmidt card (9MC, if I remember correctly with a yellow (?) stripe at the top). When I saw that card, I wondered why they didn't do exactly what you describe. hmmmmm >>

srs1a,

Great observation. I remember that post. I have never seen an uncut '75 Topps Baseball sheet, but I have seen the very similar UK soccer (football? image) uncut sheets and, if I remember correctly, I believe they were produced in the way that Mike described (yellow bottom above yellow top, etc.) I would like to hear an explanation of that Schmidt card.

JEB.
  • Options
    mcastaldimcastaldi Posts: 1,130 ✭✭
    srs1> As I explained in that thread, this was common to several cards in the 75 set. In the last year or so there have been a couple uncut 75 sheets come to eBay and I captured the pictures, but I'm not sure I still have them. I'll have to look. To take a wild guess, one possible explanation would be if the sheet had a border or frame in a different color from the cards on the sheet. This would mean if the cards on the top and bottom of the sheet were cut just a little off, then you'd see that line. Again, just a guess.

Mike
    So full of action, my name should be a verb.
  • Options
    Beautiful!!

Looks like the cards with red "bottoms" were double printed--none of the other colored bottoms are double printed on these two sheets. Toppsgun: don't think Gibbon is on the right side-- isn't that him fifth from the left on rows 1 and 11? I pretty sure that's Ducky Schofield on the right.
    Todd
    Todd Schultz (taslegal@hotmail.com)
    ebay id: nolemmings
  • Options
    tbub.....on that sheet, you have the League Leaders cards which would be the highest dollar cards.......Featuring many HOF'ers. Also, you have the Al Kaline, card #25 and the Buc Blasters card with Clemente, card #18.
    But, as you've no doubt guessed by now......some of us 63 collectors would trade several League Leaders cards and maybe a Kaline or two, for some very sweet high grade commons with low pops.....image

• Options
    GATOR5GATOR5 Posts: 654
    Card-

I think that is the schofield

• Options

My bad. You are correct. That is the Schofield. Recently the 2nd lowest pop card in the set.

I guess the bidding for any of these in 8 will go even higher now that this sheet has surfaced. Confirms our worst fears re: ultimate availability.
  • Options
    One more observation.......Cards along the left and right edges seem to have suffered condition issues because of their position on the sheet, as we can see 40 years later in the Pop report......However, cards along the top and bottom edges don't seem to have been affected in the same way. Most of these cards can be had fairly readily in high grade.

• Options
    Joe,

those along the vertical edges have more side/side centering problems. Top/Bottom centering is not as big of an issue.
  • Options
    Also keep in mind that the cards along the top and bottom edges appear to be double prints - at least on these sheets. For every card on the top or bottom edge, there is another of the same card one row in that would not have those problems.
    John Vineyard

• Options
    crazysccrazysc Posts: 291
    As I listed in the other thread, I don't think there are any SP/DPs in teh set - Topps probably produced two different sheets, double printing 44 cards on each sheet out of the 132 total cards. So each card would be represented 3 times in two sheets (88x3=264).

I've even seen HUGE 264 card sheets from the 60s - was it possible the two sheets were printed side by side?
    Why do I get the feeling, that some cards are worth money, while others are not?