Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

I came across this...talk about "WOW" Hockey collectors DIG DEEP

I have a feeling this will be a big auction. That GAI 10 looks nice. And the entire box is graded. Give me an exacto knife and about an 1hr......image ANY ideas on what this might fetch?

HOCKEY BOX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JAMES
x

Comments

• Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    That is one cool box, that is for sure.

I was surprised/intrigued by the price realized on the 1986 Fleer Basketball GAI 10 GEM MINT pack in Mastro's last auction. I mean, after all, in my eyes -- when you have an unopened box -- if most of your packs grade out as 9 or 9.5, then they are all pretty much "equal" in my eyes.

Nonetheless -- a very awesome box. I wonder if this is the same one that Toppsvault recently had? I did not think there was an abundance of this product out there.
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    BasiloneBasilone Posts: 2,492 ✭✭
    It is a nice item...but how do we know all 48 packs came from the SAME box? That was one of the first questions that popped into my head..and if I was selling them...I would clearly state it as such.

John
  • Options
    RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭
    Usually that box gets over $4000- and it's now surpassed that. I don't know, 7 or 8 thousand for this one? That box must have been "lost" for the last 23 years for those packs to be so nice. I wonder whether the new owner will open the packs or not. The odds are very slim you'll get a Gretzky even worth sending in (let alone a Howe, Hull, etc). Man, I just don't think I could bring myself to open them.
  • Options
    Single GAI 9's of these packs have been selling regularly in the $150 Range .
  • Options
    robstarrobstar Posts: 262

<< <i>It is a nice item...but how do we know all 48 packs came from the SAME box? That was one of the first questions that popped into my head..and if I was selling them...I would clearly state it as such.

John >>

This was my first thought as well. I would much prefer to have an unopened wax box graded by GAI, than 48 individual graded packs. There is no way to know for sure that these 48 packs ever comprised a complete box. Also, has GAI changed their grading standards recently? I thought that a pack could only get a 10 grade if it came from a box from a sealed case. Can someone please enlighten me on this?

Rob...
    Collecting PSA Vintage Hockey
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Perhaps they changed their policy:

"This superior example exhibits no wear or blemishes. The package must be wrinkle and crease free and also possess superb print quality.
    The gum must not be broken or adhere to the front of the card. Centering must be 55-45 or better."

Of course -- GAPack's website does not address, AT ALL, split grades. I really abhor inconsistencies such as that.
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    BobSBobS Posts: 1,738 ✭✭

<< <i>Also, has GAI changed their grading standards recently? I thought that a pack could only get a 10 grade if it came from a box from a sealed case. Can someone please enlighten me on this? >>

GAI has altered/changed their pack grading standards more times than I can recall. It is my opinion that there are NO standards. I too recall the sealed case=10 grade, but in this auction, that does not seem to be the case. I believe, even though pack grading is a good idea, theat Mark will eventually kill the concept if these shenanigans continue.

By the way, has anyone run into one of the graded packs or know someone who has run into one, opened it, and found it to be bogus (like the un-graded 1980 Topps basketball pack I opened to find a marked checklist)?
  • Options
    WabittwaxWabittwax Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭
    If I were to buy a GAI graded pack, I really wouldn't even care what the grade is. I wouldn't pay much different between an 8 and a 10. The real premium comes from the authentication of it. As for the hockey box, at least the seller was smart enough to have the packs authenticated. He will make aton of extra money in doing so.
  • Options
    True, the authentication is what matters in the end, but if one is collecting packs with no intention of opening them, then I assume he'd want the best grade available. That's true for me anyway.
  • Options
    Finished at $7700 or about $160.42 a pack. Not bad.