Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

How about a great goalies set?

Looking at the "Great whatever position" sets in the various sports, I was thinking there needs to be a great hockey goalies set. I was trying to work up a list myself, but aside from those in the past 10 years like Roy, Hasek, and Brodeur, plus those in the HOF, I'm at a loss. As a Flyers fan, I'd want to include Hextall and, as a sentimental favorite, Pelle Lindbergh, but I'm not sure they'd be considered "great". And where would people rank current name goalies like Belfour, Osgood, and Burke? And my old-time hockey history is shaky, so I'm not sure who to include among those who are retired but not in the Hall.

Discuss.
WANTED:
2005 Origins Old Judge Brown #/20 and Black 1/1s, 2000 Ultimate Victory Gold #/25
2004 UD Legends Bake McBride autos & parallels, and 1974 Topps #601 PSA 9
Rare Grady Sizemore parallels, printing plates, autographs

Nothing on ebay

Comments

• Options
    aro13aro13 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭
    helionaut-Good idea but it would be pretty difficult. Off the top of my head you could use Sawchuck, Durnan, Bower, Hall, and Plante rookies from the 50's. From the 60's you could use Giacomin, Cheevers, Esposito, Parent. From the 70's Dryden and Smith. From the 80's- Fuhr, Moog, and Roy. From the 90's Belfour, Brodeur, and Hasek. I am quite certain other hockey fans and collectors would have a few names to add to the list. How did the football collectors make some of their lists? Maybe, you could use the same idea here.
    For what it is worth, Bernie Parent, who was the Flyers goalie in the mid-70's was the best I have ever seen for two play-off years - 73-74 and 74-75. He was incredible.
  • Options
    Belfour - definitely considered
    Osgood - possibly - depend on how many you want to have
    Burke - nowhere near good enough yet
    1974 Topps PSA 8 or better
    1955 Topps All-American (raw or PSA graded)
  • Options
    that sounds like a great idea. my picks-

50s- sawchuk, worsley, plante, hall, bower
    60s- giacomin, cheevers, esposito, parent
    70s- billy smith, dryden
    80s- fuhr, roy, moog, maybe the beezer or mike vernon
    90s- cujo, hasek, brodeur, belfour
  • Options
    I think it is a great idea. I don't know much about hockey but have always liked the goalies and think it would be a fun set to pursue as my only hockey set.

missinglinks

Currently working on:
    *1941 Double Play
    *500 Home Run Rookie Cards

Always Upgrading
    *1954 Dan Dee
    *1959 Fleer Three Stooges
  • Options
    RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭
    After the HOFers and the ones you mentioned from the last decade, not many more come to mind. Mike Vernon will, I assume, be admitted into the HOF in the next year or so. Leaf fans in the '70s had a thing for Mike Palmateer. Richard Brodeur was no slouch. He was the epitome of riding the hot goalie to the Stanley Cup in '82 with Vancouver. Even Ron Tugnutt always seemed to rise to the occasion when needed. He was probably one of the best back-ups over the last decade. Tom Barrasso? May or may not be a HOFer but he won two Cups.
  • Options
    yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    definitely a cool idea since goalies are among the most widely collected hockey cards. just don't forgot the prewar greats. legends of hockey is a good site that lets you view info on hall of famers by position or team or whatever. it'd be a good resource if people are serious about compiling a list for a registry "set."
    imageimageimageimageimageimage