Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

54 Bowman vs. 55 Topps

I am looking at putting together a mid grade vintage set and wanted to get some opinions and/or warnings. I am currently working on a few sets like everyone else including 77 cloth, 70 Topps, and Rose player sets. I want to put together a set from the 50s and I have about 30 cards from the 1955 Topps set already graded. My funds are limited, so I am looking for one of the smaller sets to put together. I love the 1953 Bowman color, but that is out of my price range at this point.

I have narrowed it down to 1954 Bowman vs. 1955 Topps. They both are in the 200 card range and have different things to offer. The 54 Bowman has Mantle and the ever popular Ted Williams where the 55 Topps has a great RC crop in Clemente, Koufax, and Killebrew.

In 54 Bowman and not 55 Topps
Mantle, Ford, Campanella, and Reese.

In 55 Topps and not 54 Bowman (not counting RCs because they weren’t around in 54)
Jobinson, Aaron, Banks, Kaline, and Spahn

I know there are several other players that are in one or the other, but I just wanted to mention the ones that I thought would have the biggest impact.

The 54 Bowman’s definitely seem to be less expensive to put together. SMR of $18,960 in 8 and $6,590 in 7 for the 54s and SMR of $39,665 in 8 and $12,595 in 7. I was putting together the 55 set in 6 and 7, but with the cost savings I may be able to upgrade to 7 and 8 for the 54. (Williams may have to be a 4 or 5)

What are your thoughts on the actual cost this will be and how difficult the cards are to find? Any warnings either way?
Looking for 77 cloth 9s and 10s.
54 Red Hearts
and now 64 Stand ups

Comments

• Options
    1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    I do not know what cards are tough, or low pop, etc ... I do think that that the 55 Topps Set is a much nicer set. The Mantle and Williams cards in the 54 set are very nice, but there are many star cards that I have seen that just seem out of focus, bad camera shot, and the like.

The 55 Mays is one helluva card too.
    collecting various PSA and SGC cards
  • Options
    i'm sure you've thought about this, but why not pick 56 topps over 55? obviously, if you want the RCs of clemente, koufax, and killebrew, 55 is better, but if you want to cut those costs, 56 is preferable. plus, there's a mantle in the 56. what more could you ask for?
  • Options
    mrc32mrc32 Posts: 604
    If you like 55 then go for it-- having 30 cards already would make the choice easy for me.
  • Options
    LJB17LJB17 Posts: 252 ✭✭
    342 cards is what kept me away from the 56 set. I did think about that one. I was stupid enough to try a 700 card set with 1970 and now I am looking at the smaller sets only. 200 cards into the 1970 set and I feel like I am nowhere close. 1954 Red Heart is a possibility as well, but I really wish it has Mays in it. Other than that I am thinking about just doing subsets of the bigger issues like the 58 and 61 all stars.
    54 Red Hearts
    and now 64 Stand ups
  • Options
    Go with the 55 set its great. Text
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    I'll put a vote in for the 54 Bowmans. I think it's a very undervalued set. With 224 cards and no high series, completing the set is a very achievable goal. Contrary to popular belief (at least mine anyway) they are not that easy to find. The card stock is really strong so you should be able to find the 6, 7's & 8's with some work. If budget is a concern this good set to work on. A word of caution if you are buying raw and then grading. Measure every card you buy. The 54's are notorious for being short.

Enjoy,
    Doug
    Looking for well centered 1958 topps baseball psa 8 and up. Also dying for a 70 Aaron All Star in PSA 9.
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    I agree on 1954 Bowman. I think that you can put together a much nicer (overall) set for less money (on a % of SMR basis) as there is much less competition on 1954 Bowman. Let me put it like this: Most of the big name collectors have a 1955 Topps graded card set. Most of the same collectors only have 1954 Bowman raw. Take advantage of the 1954 Bowman prices as they currently are -- when the big collectors start grading out their 1954 Bowman sets over the next 3-5 years -- the market should pick up, and your set should appreciate in value.

MS
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    My vote is for the 54 Bowman's. The cards can have great eye appeal when focused. Also, this is a set, except for the Williams, that will not break the bank. In essence you can complete a nice vintage set without having to explain away the credit card bills every month to your wife. Though the Williams will require some sort of financial planning to obtain. Also, the May's card is gorgeous. This may very well be the set I collect next.

Bill H
    Interested in 1955 bowman baseball psa 7 and better!
  • Options
    brucemobrucemo Posts: 358
    I think that the '54 Bowman set looks like used catfood, and it pains me to say that because I collect other Bowman sets.

The reason it's cheaper and not widely collected is that it's ugly. I think those pastel name blocks are terrible, and I think that the colorized black and white process they used is awful.

So I'm for '55 Topps, no question.

I don't know if there are population issues in '55 Topps, but the set is a lot smaller than '56 Topps, which is a point in its favor, in my opinion. The lack of a Mantle just means that you can save some money.

Doing '56 in 7 or better will take a long time. I know that for sure.

bruce
    Collecting '52 Bowman, '53 Bowman B&W, and '56 Topps, in PSA-7.
    Email: brucemo@seanet.com
  • Options
    LJB17LJB17 Posts: 252 ✭✭
    Thank you for the opinions and comments. I think I will eventually pursue both of these sets, but for now I am going to put them both on hold. The 1954 Red Heart is one I can easily get a grasp of due to the small size and even if I only purchase two per month I will be done in less than 1.5 years. The 55 or 54 would probably take me closer to 3+ and more cash.

54 Red Hearts
    and now 64 Stand ups
  • Options
    How about a 1952 bowman set? It only has 252 cards and IMO it is the second best looking Bowman Baseball set (55 Bowmans would be my first choice).

Paul.
    Check out my new web site: Monsters of the Gridiron
  • Options
    LJB17,

Check out the bottom of the page of the link. There are a bunch of 54' Red Heart PSA 7's for sale. I have never done business with him, but it might want to be something to check out. Best of luck on the set.

Text
  • Options
    I meant to say it might be something you would want to check out. Good luck.