Home Q & A Forum
Options

This coin market

Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭✭✭
Hi Dave.

I was not fortunate (or unfortunate) enough to go though the Coin market in 1989.

Can you compare, in simple terms, what this bull market is doing in your opinion that is different from the 1989 coin market

Thanks

Tbig

Comments

• Options
    homerunhallhomerunhall Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭
    Here's my very short take on the bull markets of the past...

1961-1964...Coin collecting boom. A corner coin store in every city in America (downtown Santa Ana, CA had three.) Lots of speculation in BU rolls and proof sets. But lots of collectors putting together sets. Focus was on mintage. Circulated coins were in favor. Condition was not a primary focus.

1971-74...Gold and silver...the first big bullion run-up. Silver dollars were incredibley strong. Type coins in Gem condition soared for the first time. Focus on rarity, quality was also important.

1977-1980...More gold and silver bullion run-up. Huge investor demand. Lots of focus on both quality and rarity. Coin prices went up 1000% or more. The biggest bull market ever.

1983-89...Very focused on quality, quality, and quality. Very investor driven. The dawn of PCGS and the slab revolution. Huge (for the time) quality premiums on ga-ga grades (but nothing like today.)

Nov, 2002 to date...Huge collector demand, Set Registry, Statehood quarters, incredible demand for modern coins...reminds me more of the 1960s than the 1970s and 1980s.

Hope that helps...David