Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

psa/dna autographed cards question

has anyone had any autographed cards certified and then graded as their numerous ads state for $20. what has the turn around been and any unpleasant experiences?

Thanks
Tim Francis

have been mostly lurking for a long time but looking forward to luncheon at national

Comments

• Options
    I have had 2 cards graded under this service ... Turn around was under 2 weeks fdrom Drop off (at a Fort Washington Show) until I received the cards back... The cards were graded as PSA 8 which was what I expected... All in all I was very satisfied....
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass... it's about learning to dance in the rain.
  • Options
    WabittwaxWabittwax Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭
    I've thought about using that service too. I have a Johnny Bench Auto on a 1981 Topps that I've had for years plus a couple others. Not a bad deal for $20.
  • Options
    UllrUllr Posts: 185 ✭✭✭
    Turnaround times are usually 2 - 3 weeks. James Spence turns the cards over quickly (around 5 days). PSA is not as consistent. I have had them grade cards within 5 days but other times it has run 14 days. Still my invoices have been within their 20 day time frame for the entire service (PA & CA). I think it's a great deal.image It used to be $50 for Spence + PSA grading.
    collecting '67 & '75 red sox + baseball HOF autographs
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    I had the form filled out and the check made for the $50. fee and they had just dropped it to $20. The service was really quick, I think 2 weeks or less, and I was really happy with it. I was a little surprised that when I entered the card into my registry listing it didn't note PSA/DNA like it does on the pop report, but it wasn't a big deal. Overall I was really happy and Jimmy Spence couldn't have been nicer to work with.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    purelyPSApurelyPSA Posts: 712 ✭✭
    This is potentially a huge area for PSA. Autographed cards pop up on Ebay from time to time of the really tough players - Lyman Bostock, Munson, Bob Moose, etc. that are deceased. These are the ones that most signed set collectors need, but the prices on Ebay really don't reflect their rarity due to the provenance issue, and twenty bucks spent to authenticate would likely improve the value of the card much more than 20 bucks. However, I don't know if the signed card market is really clued into PSA's services just yet. It seems to be more PSA customers having things authenticated than autograph collectors taking up with PSA. Which is a shame, because if they could do authentication for cards, then there's a nice profitable niche market for the company. I wonder if they've put ads out in the right places spelling out their services...
  • Options
    CreeperKatCreeperKat Posts: 393 ✭✭
    Does anyone know how often PSA/DNA adds new players to their list? I have quite a few semi-stars I would like to submit but they are not on their list of autographs they authenticate.
    Looking for Los Angeles/California/Anaheim Angels in PSA 8 or better
  • Options
    WabittwaxWabittwax Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭
    PSA really missed out on the pack grading. That is a HUGE untapped market that is highly in demand. It is almost as important as card grading itself. Mark Murphy has to be one of the top experts in the country on identifying resealed packs. Plus he's got the name recognition that would give instant credibility to that service. PSA should have got to him before he started working with GAI.
  • Options
    AlanAllenAlanAllen Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭
    Steve,
    Mark Murphy was negotiating with PSA over pack grading before GAI was started. I can only guess that he was talking to Rocchi et al. and the idea left PSA for GAI when they did.

Joe
    No such details will spoil my plans...
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    Does anybody else have a problem with the person grading sealed packs also being the seller of sealed packs? I'm not doubting the person in question, just the concept of it. As I understand it David Hall was told to sell his card collection when CU went public- how is this any different (except for the involvement of the SEC)? When I'm putting my faith and wallet into the certification of a product I'd like to know there is no potential conflict of interest.
    If PSA had trained, experienced graders slabbing packs I'd be much more likely to send mine in.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's