Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Comments

• VirtualizardVirtualizard Posts: 1,936 ✭✭
    One thing it's not is vintage, as stated in the auction. image

Are you referring to the high bids? Considering a population of 170 in PSA 9, it is high.

JEB.
  • RobERobE Posts: 1,160 ✭✭
    Vintage is not the question.

What do they mean with DP - double print?

I thought only the 79 had some variation or whatever but never knew anything different than a regular issued 80 card.

Hope they are not misleading anyone.

<< <i>This auction features a 1980 TOPPS(DP-DOUBLE PRINT)Card(#270)of Hall Of Famer MIKE SCHMIDT! >>

• crazysccrazysc Posts: 291
    Double Print means the card was produced in twice the quantity compared to the "average" card in the set. Since there are 726 cards in the set, and cards were produced on 132 card sheets, each sheet actually had 121 different cards and 11 of the cards were "double printed" to fill up the sheet. Often from 78-up, Topps double printed the stars. That's why you'll see the 78 Topps Rose being such a low value - I think in fact it was triple printed...
    Why do I get the feeling, that some cards are worth money, while others are not?
    Sounds like another way to hype a card in the hope of a premium like saying vintage or rare.

Since this DP is stated how can one tell the difference between this card VS others?
  • crazysccrazysc Posts: 291
    Since it's a double print, the card would sell for a lower amount than otherwise. It sounds like someone who doesn't understand what a DP is - kinda stupid to say "this card is twice as common as others."

Double prints are discovered through research by looking at uncut sheets - many companies (SCD, Beckett) have done such and denote the DPs in their price guides.
    Why do I get the feeling, that some cards are worth money, while others are not?
    Most card guides will show which cards are double printed (for instance, Beckett includes a DP notation next to the card's listing). In general, DP's are more abundant and will sell for less. With stars, that is not necessarily the case because, although the supply is twice as a high, the demand may exceed that. When you are talking about cards from the early '70s and earlier, the series in which they were produced will also affect the availability of high grade cards.

Hope that helps.

JEB.
    Sol,

You beat me to it on the previous post. Looking back on the auction again, I think you're correct. I wonder if the seller thinks the "DP" is something that will help to sell the card. I don't know why anyone would go to the trouble to point it out otherwise.

JEB.
  • WabittwaxWabittwax Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭
    Rob, if you ever open a vending case from any year, you will discover all of the double prints. In a 1980 vending case, you will average about 17 of each card and the case will yield about 34 of each of the double prints. It just means that there are twice as many of those cards produced than the rest of the set. That's actually about the right price for the Schmidt. I've sold it for about $40-$50 throguh Ebay. I've actually found the 1980 Schmidt as one of the toughest cards in the set based on my experience. Based on the Pop Report though, it doesn't look that tough.
  • mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    <<I've actually found the 1980 Schmidt as one of the toughest cards in the set based on my experience. Based on the Pop Report though, it doesn't look that tough. >>

Well -- I probably own 800 of these cards raw. There was a point three years ago whereby I owned nearly 70% of the 1980 Topps #270 PSA 9 MINT population -- and over half of those had come from personal raw submissions. I've since distrubted nearly all of those 9s throughout the hobby -- but I would definitely say that it is a fairly tough card despite the relatively high production number. Just like with most vintage vending -- if you run across a case, either most of your Schmidts will be nice or most will not.
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
    Steve (Wabbitwax) - lately the 270 has been selling as low as 14 and as high as 22+ but when I saw it was at $26 while others are closing as the usual price I figured this was a special card for some reason.

In conclusion it appears that a double printed card is nothing more than a card which is massively produced and nothing more other than what Sol and you explain on the sheet and amount that wind up in a vending case.Ok,so that makes it get 166 hits on the counter but is it going to make a difference on the price realized?In 45 minutes we'll see.
    I wonder why they shut down the auction?The card at $26 was selling for more than the average as of late.
  • Always buying high grade Mike Schmidt and Steve Carlton cards!!!
  • the 1952 Topps Mantle is a double print. in fact, 311-313 (Mantle, Robinson, and Thomson) are all double printed. Mr Mint himself more or less verified this in his famous '52 find- he found 17-19 of each card in the high series, except for 311-313 where he found around 35 each